Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I pay it?

me and my ex had an apartment together. he moved out so they want me to pay 2 months rent. my name was on it too. I havent lived there for over 6 months. what should i do?

Answer Question

Asked by destineemommy at 10:47 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Relationships

Level 4 (42 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Take him to small claims court, IF you can prove you moved out, but you two would still be responsible if BOTH of you signed a lease together. He would have to help you pay it though. You guys should have to split the cost 50-50

    Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:49 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

  • If your name is on it you legally have to pay it. You'll have to take your ex to court and sue him for the money you paid.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

  • Well if you don't take care of it it will be on the credit record so someone has to come up with some money either way you have to pay unless you don't mind having bad credit for awhile. I would take care of it since your name is on the list too, and hunt him down and get some one to kick his ass for being such an ass. (whimp of a man).

    Sorry I was day dreaming i was in ur

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

  • First of all. when you moved out. You should have went and took your name off the lease. Then you would not have this problem. My DD broke up with her SO and that was the first thing I told her to do. Take your name off the lease. Pay the rent and bring your EX to court to get at least half it back.

    Answer by louise2 at 10:57 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

  • If your name is in the lease contract, you are liable for the money. If his name is in the contract he is liable as well. If he isn't in the contract, then you need to pay the bill in full. Don't ruin your credit on somebody else account. Do the responsible thing and either take him to court if his name is in the contract or pay the money yourself and learn from the experience.

    Answer by bebita at 10:59 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

  • I would make payment arrangements to avoid the negative mark on my credit. I would then do the small claims bit towards the ex- for his portion of the expenses.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

  • oh wow, I'd have taken my name off the lease once I realized I wasn't going back but that's water under the bridge now. Yes you are legally responsible for that money. If you care about your credit rating then yes pay it. If not, and you don't need them as a credit reference to get another rental in the future (for example if you own your own home now) then don't pay it.

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:25 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

  • Is your name on the lease? If so, guess you are responsible.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

  • You signed a legal contract you have to pay it. BUT, you after you pay it and have proof of payment, you can take him to small claims court and get your money back from him.

    Answer by TarLion at 6:11 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.