Multiple Male Dogs in the house

Hi! I saw the question about multiple female dogs in the same house and it got me wondering....what about multiple males? I have three males dogs (mini pin, daschund, and mixed terrier). The daschund and terrier were here first and never had issues getting along with each other. The mini pin is the newest edition and although he physically weighs less than the other two, he has decided to try to assert himself as the dominant male. My daschund could truly care less and allows this without any difficulty, however, my terrier thinks it is BS and will definitely hold his ground. Unfortunately, this results in a Battle Royale about twice a month with a dog fight between the terrier and mini pin and I have to physically separate them. The mini pin has bitten ears and made them bleed and has bitten me several times while trying to break them up. I am open for suggestions on how to work with my dogs on how to get along better

lucindamartinez

Asked by lucindamartinez at 10:49 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Pets

• Little dogs fight mean!!

The best method of dog control is to establish yourself as leader of the pack. Your authority must be unquestioned. Dogs love to have a leader they can trust to make all the right decisions for them all the time. Really, when it comes to making choices, has your dog ever made one that was well thought out? No, they eat rabbit poop.

I have an all male pack. They play rough and muddy but don't fight. And if they are wrestling and I call their names, they stop everything they are doing and look up at me. Every day I work with them. Every day we do leadership training.

1.A pack leader never gives a command twice. You don't negotiate with a dog. You command them.
    2. A pack leader never walks in back.
    3. pack leader controls the food
    4. pack leader doesn't bend down to the dog
    5. pack leader is calm and assertive

Dogs love rules!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:05 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I should say that I love all of the dogs and am definitely not looking for an excuse to get rid of anyone. I would much prefer learning techniques to maintain the doggie peace in our household. Somehow I believe that there is just something that I am missing here and I hope you wonderful dog owners out there might have some suggestions for me that could help to keep the peace.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 10:51 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• You are right! Little dogs fight mean! My full sized dobie was never like this, although he certainly had the size behind him if he had elected to be.

Do you have any suggested sources for leadership training? I have noticed that my terrier will not fight unless 'pushed in the corner' by the mini pin. The terrier will hear me when I call his name and say No. He will stop dead in his tracks. The mini pin...not so much. I can see signs that he is starting to become aggressive (usually over affection), he will growl and I will see the hackles raise on his back....I can call his name and nothing, it's like he is not there. If I am physically close enough to him when I notice him starting in this zone, I roll him over on his back and make him stay in the submissive position until his breathing calms and all is well, but if I am not close enough physically it is on. I think that leadership training....ctd
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 11:23 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• ctd....would be helpful so that he can get out of that zone by just a verbal command as well, although I know it would take work.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 11:24 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Ah! Found some leadership tips online.....any other suggested sources for leadership training welcome as well.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 11:39 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• We did Bark Busters. I had a dog trainer come out and teach me. Now I can do it myself. Bark Busters is nationwide and the training is good for the life of the dog. It's not cheap, but it worked wonders for us.

The dog whisperer guy does similar training. I liked Bark Busters bc they had some tools for us to use, sound devices and special collars, that made things very easy for the dogs and for me. I wasn't comfortable dominating them. But when I saw how much they LOVE to be submissive to me, being the pack leader is just the right thing to do for them.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:37 PM on Dec. 2, 2009