Any tips on cleaning sippy cups?

Have any of you discovered a clever tool for cleaning the tiny cracks inside sippy cup lids and straws? My bottle brush won't fit into the small lid and straws and it gets moldy. (The cup itself is fine.) Hot water and the dishwasher don't seem to help. So far, I just discard the cups after a couple of months use and buy new ones. Help!

babyjakesmama

Asked by babyjakesmama at 11:07 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I put them in the dishwasher
    MamasAngelPie

Answer by MamasAngelPie at 11:07 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• go to your local head shop & buy a pipe cleaner... not at all like the ones used for crafts, its flexible and has a tiny brush on the end!! smaller than a nipple brush! they come in all sorts of lengths, to clean all sorts of smoking apparatuses- you can get them 3-4 feet long... lol (hooka anyone?) but seriously, not expensive, and prolongs the life of a sippy cup & valve. also, soak them in a solution of HOT water & baking soda every week or so, and they'll last longer. prevents nasty odors, especially if you run them through the dishwasher...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:10 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I put them in the dishwasher. The only sippy cups that don't come clean are the ones that get left in DH's car for a couple of weeks.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 11:13 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Pipe cleaners and believe it or not a denture brush.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:14 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I used q-tips and a mix of vinegar and water..about a tablespoon of vinegar to a cup of water before running them through the dishwasher.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:14 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• pipecleaners.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:19 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I'm a cake decorator and I used the tip cleaning brush, which is much like a pipe cleaner except it's a lot more sturdy and has very stiff bristles, like a toothbrush.    http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/misc/TIP-INST/418-1123.jpg

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:28 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Pipe cleaners.
    Anonymous

• michiganmom116- great idea! never thought of using mine! lol
    i should clarify that what i meant by "pipe cleaner" is pretty much the same thing... wow, never thought of that though... :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:06 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• i use q tips.
    Anonymous