just started using opks...

so a little background. I was supposed to get another depo shot Oct 15th, but didnt. DH and I are ttc out first baby together. (but we both already have a boy each so this would be #3 ). Anyway, I thought I O'd last month, and DH and I BD all the appropriate times, BFN this month. I know it can take a while, but using OPKs now to make cross check since I also chart. Ok, skip to today, I got a line on my opk, which I know is still neg, but how long does it usually take to darken? Should I wait until tomo to test again? Or later today? It wasnt close to the control line, so it still has a lil while to go. Thanks!

AmandaN1

Asked by AmandaN1 at 11:12 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Wait till tomorrow. If it's not close, it's not going to be positive later today. And when it does start getting darker, it doesn't necessarily mean you're about to ovulate. (I made that mistake once; it was almost positive, I stopped testing, and still didn't ovulate for another two weeks...good thing I was charting. ;) ) Your LH can go up and down throughout your cycle, so if you test religiously every day from start to finish, you'll see a kind-of wave-like pattern. Usually, when it gets darker to the point of being almost positive, it does mean you're about to get a real positive, but it's still possible for your body to prepare to ovulate and then not for whatever reason; so keep charting, especially BBT, so you'll know for sure when it happens. Good luck! :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My line gradually gets darker as I get closer to ovulating. On the day I begin to ovulate the line matches the test line and that is how I know ( I also chart, check my cervix etc...). I also always test once a day between 11 am-12 pm. Hope that helps
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 1:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2009