Army-kids-moving????

My hubby just decided to join the army and our son is one. Im really nervous about having to move out of state and take my son away from his family. Anyone else go through a big move or have a hubby in the army with kids?? I could really use some advice ladies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• hello my name is sandy. im an ARmy Brat Turned Army Wife. currently right now we have two kids ages 31/2 and one. we are also pregnant with number 3.
    im not going to lie things are not easy at first but, i love the trill of moving. of getting to see the world. to get to meet new people. to start over fresh!
    growing up i moved every 3 yrs so i made freinds fast! true i dont have a best freind that ive had since i have 5. but ive gotten to live all over the u.s.
    if you need any more info feel free to message me! beeen dealing with the army for liek 23 yrs now almost!
    btw my kids dont mind it. riley was 2 when we first moved. she did understand but loved traveling..and now its a treat to get to see the extended family.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 11:21 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My advice look at it like an adventure. I enjoy relocating so much, we always made the best of it. We embraced the "gypsy" life and we visited wonderful places, meet some of the most honorable, selfless people in the planet. My husband wasn't in the army but to us all military are our extended military family. Along the way you need to remember this: No amount of money or benefits will ever be worth the sacrifices you and your family will make but in the same token, every day your husband serves his nation you serve as well and there is great pride on that.

Good luck and remember life is what you made out of it. Enjoy the journey and take advantage of everything our military has to offer.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 11:24 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Im a navy brat. My parents always made moving an exciting adventure. We would learn about the area, see all the sights, we would always have fun with it. My family made sure to go "home" (indiana) at least every other year and so I got to know my cousins and grandparents. It has served me well as an adult to have moved so much... with much credit to my parents. I am out going, I am adventurous, I am NOT worried or afraid of being in a new place, situation, or not fully in control. I think I have many positive traits that have come directly from living the childhood I did.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My husband isn't army, he is Air Force. I too was worried about moving my 22 month old, but she is fine :) Honestly, I think she is just happy to have daddy back in the house after him being gone for bmt and whatnot. I'm sure she misses her cousins, but not much you can do. Life will go on, maybe not as easily as others' but it will.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 11:31 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• No Army for us, but we've had to move 4 times in 3years (we have a 15 month-old and a 2 1/2 year-old). We've actually moved closer to family, so I can't address that part (although in the early days with one child we were close to no family whatsoever, but we had much closer friends than we do now). But the girls always adapted incredibly well to new environments. I'd say the key is making sure that their daily routines are nailed down. Some flexibility, of course, but it's possible to keep the little things almost exactly the same (the order of the bedtime routine, the timing of outings and activities, nap schedules, etc). If those are in place, then the only thing they're doing is exploring their new environment and getting used to the new places you take them and the new people you meet... They can handle that. And try not to use moves as excuses for other transitions (no diapers once we're in the new place, etc).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:35 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My husband is in the Army and I have an almost 2 year old. While I think it may be hard in some ways (ok, I know it is hard in some ways) it's also wonderful. We have gotten to live in Alaska (where my son was actually born) now we're back in MD while my husband goes through a commissioning program and gets another bachelor's degree (school is paid for by the GI Bill and he still gets active duty pay and benefits. His only job is to go to school) and soon we'll be moving again. We put Germany as our first choice and Italy as our second. How amazing will it be if we can live in Europe? Being in a military family is definitely a lifestyle, but there are some awesome benefits. :) My husband does have to leave for extended perods of time, but I stay home with my son to try to add a little more stability. Good luck!

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 4:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2009