I need some lunch ideas for my kindergartener. I don't want him stuck in the sandwich rut but what else can I send to mix it up a bit?

No allergen foods are allowed in the school so I need ideas that have no nuts, etc.

njmommy2boys

Asked by njmommy2boys at 10:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I just saw something on this the other day, but some of the foods seemed a bit exotic and my child definitely wouldn't have eaten it! The one thing I saw that was really cool was taking lunch meat and cheese and wrapping it around pretzel rods. Its a fun lunch that really doesn't take much longer than a sandwich to make. My mom used to send a lot of soup and spaghetti Os in a thermos. One of my favorite lunches is tuna salad on crackers. Hope those are at least a few easy ideas to give your child a little variety. Oh, and BTW moms! I saw in Wal-Mart the other day that they sell little "lunchboxes" for $2.50 that had an apple, a sandwich, a juice box, a string cheese, and some kind of snack...not bad in a crunch!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2008

• I have this same problem. Try buying a thermos to keep hot foods warm? Sorry thats all I got. lol Hopefully other moms will post & I will also learn a thing or 2 :)
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 10:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2008

• My kids love "lunchables" and they only get it as a treat once in a while. $2.50 x 3 kids x 5 days a week. I don't think so! LOL

If you buy all the stuff in the boxes individually it adds up to much less and it tastes all the same.
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 10:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2008

• what about a macaroni salad, or sandwiches but on bagels or english muffins instead?
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2008

• what about sandwich wraps,I take a tortilla and spread some cream cheese and then put their fav lunchmeat and roll it up and slice..add some carrot sticks or apple slices and a drink...

nikki7376

Answer by nikki7376 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2008

• i teach pre k aand here are some things i've seen come in. tuna w chips for scooping., lunchables, cold cut and cheese roll ups, pasta salad, fried chicken can b eaten at room temp or even cold (i love it cold), a thermos is a fabulous idea too.
    shykendes

Answer by shykendes at 12:14 AM on Sep. 10, 2008

• I happen to love the Better Homes and Gardens website and they have a great lunch section right now. Here is a link..
    http://www.bhg.com/recipes/childrens-favorites/lunch/brown-bag-lunches/
    angelhalls

Answer by angelhalls at 12:55 AM on Sep. 10, 2008

• I have this problem but my daughter is a vegetarian. These are good answers though.
    CalypsoSpell

Answer by CalypsoSpell at 7:21 PM on Sep. 10, 2008

• my nephew has this book with all these cool lunches for kids. maybe it may help to look in one of those. or you can look up on the internet. the book has some really good ideas that i would have never thought of!!!
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 11:47 AM on Sep. 14, 2008