Is tolerance and acceptance always reasonable?

This Swiss ban on minarets thing has me thinking. I think it's silly really, because who cares about some towers. But the underlying feeling isn't really about towers but an unease over the huge increases of Muslim immigrants to Europe. So many are saying that Switzerland should be ashamed because this vote shows them as intolerant of Muslims.
Is there a point at which being tolerant and accepting really means being a doormat? Allowing oneself to be trampled upon by those who are not at all tolerant or accepting of your own culture? Muslim countries don't allow churches at all (Saudi Arabia) or oppress Christians (Egypt) or have special taxes for those who are not Muslim (most others). When they immigrate to non-Muslim countries they demand special rights and expect that country to adopt Muslim beliefs. So at what point is it okay for a country to say no thank you. We like who we are?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• really means being a doormat? Allowing oneself to be trampled upon by those who are not at all tolerant or accepting of your own culture? Muslim countries don't allow churches at all (Saudi Arabia).

I agree 100%
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:33 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• So at what point is it okay for a country to say no thank you. We like who we are?

That time is NOW dear..ask the UK
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:34 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Being tolerant of those who are not tolerant of you isn't effective. Muslim leaders have come right out and said that they use the Wests obsession with being pc and tolerant against them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Is there a point at which being tolerant and accepting really means being a doormat?

Definitely. 

Allowing oneself to be trampled upon by those who are not at all tolerant or accepting of your own culture?

If you tolerate bad behavior in a friendship or relationship, and but the friend or SO is intolerant of your needs, most will label the friendship/relationship abusive, and tell you it's unacceptable.  This is the same, IMO.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:54 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I don't think letting them build their buildings is asking anyone to become anything other than what they already are. I try to be as tolerant, understanding and accepting of others as I can. I usually do this by asking myself how I'd feel if these things were being done to my people right now. I would not like it very much.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:57 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I think some people don't understand the significance of the buildings/towers. In the US we have buildings that mean something to us, they represent something.........the Statue of Liberty, the twin towers.

OP, I applaud you! I sure wish you would come out and own your answer! I would like to have you for a friend. Your assessment is 100% target locked correct.

Let this be a rallying cry............WE ARE NO LONGER TOLERATING BEING TOLERANT! If you want to be a US citizen you must conform to US society. Accept and obey our laws, learn our language/customs/history, have pride in being an American and practice your faith in peace and let others do the same. Join us or don't bother coming here, join us or leave.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• weren't they trying to be tolerant and accepting when they let that cop killer from Arkansas get parole? ya know he was a kid and all. look what happened.

weren't they trying to be tolerant and accepting of that Fort Hood killer? look what happened.
    Anonymous

• Nope, the use of the word ALWAYS negated the question.

Unfortunately, I do not think that you can compare countries (Middle east; Ireland) where the politics/government and the Religion are so deeply entwined with the US (or Switzerland) where they are distinct and separate. Sounds like many wish the US was a homogeneous society, like some others, but we all know we are not. Unfortunately, when you live in a country that has its foundation in ppl fleeing oppression in hopes of securing THEIR OWN freedom, the "All for 1 and 1 for all" goal is vastly diluted. The US is a melting pot, always has been and most likely will be-Americans are not all the same. Do ppl think that's a realistic goal? To force ppl to totally disregard their own personal history and culture; renounce it? My FIL would sooner die than turn his back on/deny  his Irish roots.......

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I dont think anyone is saying any should renounce their history ad things sister...but it gets quit old having some come here and all they want to do is tout the country they left fly that flag and expect us to bend to accomodate them at every turn..meanwhile we lose America ..her traditions and all ..nope im not for that

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:26 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Are minarets required on a mosque? I didn't get a sense from the articles I read that the swiss were trying to prevent Muslims from being able to worship. I know that many European countries are very proud of their heritage, their culture, and their history, they try to preserve the past in an authentic way. Perhaps having a minaret spring up in between all the beautiful chalets, etc. would be considered a bit of an eyesore.
    Anonymous