baby is 1 year old, will eat his toys but won't put food in his mouth.

all he does is play with it and throw it off the table....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't worry. We use to joke that our son would put anything into his mouth but Cheerios! Some kids are slower to get use to more solid foods than others. My son also had no interest in using a spoon or fork until at least 18 months. Give him a little more time. If by his 15 month check up he still isn't making any attempt to feed himself, talk to your doctor about it. In the meantime, keep trying. Try offering favorite foods first to get him interested. Let him play with spoon/fork to get use to them.
    Anonymous

• This is a serious problem. If your baby is on formula it is really serious.

You need to have your baby checked for anemia, weight gain, and head circumference growth. Brain growth is the most important developmental task in the first year and late in the first year babies need food including meat for iron. Babies that don't eat or gain can become failure to thrive (FTT) or if their head isn't growing it can mean the brain isn't growing.

You should be trying real foods not jar baby foods. Your baby may have a tactile problem in the mouth. Occupational therapy can help.

If your baby doesn't eat soon they may put a feeding tube in. My 3 children had problems with FTT because of a rare genetic condition so I know a lot about babies and eating around 12 months. My 15 mo grandson was diagnosed with the same condition at around 12 mo and is close to FTT. They were all breastfed and didn't have to have the feeding tube.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Mmmm. i meant, he won't eat himself and put food himself in his mouth but he eats plenty! I was referring to his pinch and grasp skills and being autonomous.Sorry,should have specified.
    Anonymous