"poor kids"

i just read this in a group......how many of you wouldnt let your kids play with another child because they are "so called"poor?i sure alot of you already read this but i wanted to write it in a general discussion....

cleo1977

Asked by cleo1977 at 11:46 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• My kids play with everyone. Does not matter how much money, what color or how old they are. I raised my to love everyone.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 11:50 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Being "poor" in spirit bothers me more than "poor' financially. I've met a lot of great kids from families that had no money that have a lot to offer and teach other children (love and compassion and kindness). Parents who put emphasis on money are not teaching kids a good lesson. Remember that even the Bible says that "the Love of Money is the Root of all Evil"

Answer by admckenzie at 11:52 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Seeing my son and I are POOR, I take offense to this. What is wrong with a family that is poor? You are teaching your children to judge others because they aren't rich. Try teaching them some compassion, empathy and kindness. I would rather be poor, nice, compassionate, kind than rich, rude, judgemental and mean. Money is not everything.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:54 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Our children aren't judgmental. We encourage them to treat everyone as they would want to be treated. I remember the cruel kids in school, and I refuse to have children like that.. I wasn't the one that got picked on, I was the one trying to stick up for the ones getting picked on just because they didn't wear certain clothes, etc. Children can't control the finances, they shouldn't even have to think about it. I can bet you though, those children that do have families that are struggling know it and are carrying enough stress, it's not fair to them, they deserve to have friends too!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:57 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I want to know where you read that. How horrible for someone to do that!
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:59 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• ya i couldnt believe what i was reading...rich or poor its more important to be a good person and to teach love and respect...
    cleo1977

Answer by cleo1977 at 12:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My kids were poor kids.

Other people didn't know how poor. They wore nice clothes that I got at yard sales. They had nice toys from yard sales. They were able to participate in normal kid stuff like sports and scouts because I had it put in my divorce that their father had to pay for it. Our apartments always were kid friendly and looked nice. Kids always came to our place to play.

Families that the parents/adults have little education, moms that aren't around much, alcohol or drug problems, and the parents/adults have poor parenting skills have it bad. If the mother is available, educated and learns parenting skills, not having much money isn't that difficult for kids. My kids are now adults and they believe they had a middle class childhood on a poverty level income. Me being there to mother them was more important than money.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Frankly it does not matter to me if my kids friends are 'rich/poor'. What matters is that the kids get along with mine, and they are nice kids and good influences.
    Anonymous

• My boys don't care if their friends are 'rich' or 'poor' all they care about is having someone to play with. I could care less if my boys friends are 'poor'-- in this economy alot of people are hurting for money. What is important is the person on the inside- (that they are nice, compassionate, a good influence, have common interests with my kids, they have manners/values...).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Ok, I found the post. She did another post to clarify that she meant HER MOM was saying that. Either way, I think it's really messed up for ANYBODY to not play with someone because of their social or financial status.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2009