is your toddler talking?????

my son is 20 months old and he still isnt talking. everything is jibberish. some times he will echo what i say, but he only says about 3 words (mama,no, & baba "for cup") on his own unless he is echo'ing something i say.
how much is your toddler saying?
how old are they ?
does s/he basicly only echo/repeat things you say at this point?
or does s/he say things on their own?

USAF.Wife

Asked by USAF.Wife at 11:50 AM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• By 24 months they should be able to say (and use) about 50 words and starting to use 2-3 word phrases.

You might want to consider contacting Early Intervention for an evaluation. There's nothing wrong with giving them a little boost to keep up with their peers when it's available!!!

Two of mine were okay with vocabulary, one of them with articulation. My third wasn't talking at all. The one not talking and the one with the articulation delay were both in speech and it did WONDERS for them!!!
    Anonymous

• 50 words and 2-3 word phrases..... we're not even close.
    i think my daughter was saying close to 200 words at age 2.
    early intervention sounds like a plan. thanks, i will check into that.
    USAF.Wife

Answer by USAF.Wife at 12:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• All kids are different. My first 2 were talking up a storm at age 2, using complete sentences. My 3rd (now 27 months) has far less words and never puts together a sentence more than 2 words. He's very bright and imaginative. I just don't think he feels the need to speak as much as the others did because there are so many people ready to address his needs.
    Anonymous

• It's different for every child. My son is 14months old and he says:
    "Mamma", "Dadda", "Mom", "Dad", "Nnnna" (Nanna), "Apa" or "Bapa" (Grandpa), "Baba" (Bottle), "Haba" (Hannah), "Okay" (He's only said that once), "Bye-Bye", "Hi", "Hello" ... The rest are variations of what we say. Sometimes it's close to the word, but usually it's just the tone and pitch of how we say it that he mocks. He repeats what we say very easily, but not always in the "adult" way of saying it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Early Intervention is great. I had one in EI and one in CPSE (both getting at least speech). It was so wonderful to see (hear?) them catching up to their peers and being more independent because they could communicate with everyone!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My 15 month-old says a lot of little words, not perfectly pronounced, words like: "hi", "bye-bye," "eat," "ma" "mil" (to nurse), "da," "doh" (dog), "ta" (cat), "hat," "up," "duh" (done), "dah, dah" (duck), "see" (cheese); "tee" (tree) a very strange version of "shoe," 'bah" for diaper and potty (she talks about both, it's crazy!), "B" (the letter -- don't know where she picked that one up), "mo" (more). I think she has put together two words a handful of times, like "mo see" -- more cheese.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I'd also check with EI. At 18 months, a child should have 10 to 20 words. I agree with the previous poster on the milestones for 2 but your child is closer to 18 months right now than 2 yrs. My son was in EI starting at 18 months because he said nothing. A year later he's talking up a storm. Some kids just need a little help. My suspicion is that your child can talk (i.e. she's saying a few words and will echo you) but is choosing not to. Good luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• hmm ok so even if i go by the 18 month thing, he's still wayyyyyy behind. how frusterating. thanks a bunch i will most deffinetly check into EI. at least set my mind at ease by seeing what they have to say about it.
    USAF.Wife

Answer by USAF.Wife at 4:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My son will be 2 in January and he's talking in sentences. It was very recent though, that he seemed to have a language explosion. He always said lots of words, but now he'll say things like "Turn it off." "Turn it on." "Nurse, please, mommy." "Help me build." etc. Today he actually told me to "Go away." while he was pooping. He likes his privacy. :/ Haha. Don't worry. All kids develop differently, and I'm sure your munchkin will be talking your ear off soon. :)

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 4:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My son is 16 months and he as about 30 words... everyday it seems like he's learned something new.
    Some of the things he says are: all done, more, hot, what's this, up, buh bye, all done, juice, cracker, no, kitty, tickle, socks, shoes, mama, dadda, whoa, ow, cheese, ta-da!, ooooh pretty, yum, ...
    With your son you should also listen for infered words... it might not sound anything like the word but if he says the same thing for the same object each time it's a word.
    At my son's well visit for 15 months it said he should be saying 1 other word other than mama and dadda
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2009