Im sick and im pregnat what cold medication do you think is safe to take?

Im sick and im pregnat what cold medication do you think is safe to take? I dont want to take anything that could be dangerous for the baby. What would you take if anything at all.

youngmum87

Asked by youngmum87 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Health

• vicks nasal spray worked for me...and I believe you can take robutussin....google it, I believe there are lists out there on webmd.com and such...
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 12:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Sudafed..The real stuff that you have to get at the pharmacy. Not the phenylephrine.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:06 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces.
    Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.
    Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.
    Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).
    I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    Feel better

Answer by rkoloms at 12:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• i always go for the emergen-C packets... they are safe when you are pregnant and nursing. i get mine at the health food store but some grocery stores carry them.
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 12:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• OMG. Milk does NOT increase mucous! Pregnant or not, it does NOT increase mucous!! I don't know where the hell rkoloms is getting her info, but it needs updated...and no one asked about fucking tamiflu!!!

If you are that miserable, OP, ask a doctor, not on a message board where you will receive unreliable info (as noted by rkoloms...as usual). It is better to not take anything, but your doctor is the one to whom you should be speaking.
    Anonymous

• no need to be rude if you think its a dumb question dont answer it. I was wondering what other woman thought, thats what this site is for not to bash each other. your lucky you posted anonymously.
    youngmum87

Answer by youngmum87 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I truly do believe that any over the counter products (medications) are good for you right now. Try herbal teas, honey... there is no risk in the nature herbal tea. Please keep your baby safe.... lol
    adita1152

Answer by adita1152 at 3:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2009