What was your outcome?

Im 38 weeks, 4cm, and fully effaced went to the doctor today and she stripped my membranes. If you have had your membranes stripped did it work for you? How long did it take to work?

HollySebeck

Asked by HollySebeck at 12:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Did it twice with my second. Didn't do anything. Scheduled a Csection instead.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:11 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• cochrane collaboration has some good info on that procedure. just google it. um i'm not liking the first answer. just because stripping membranes doesn't work, i don't see a reason to have a c-section? i'm going to try to assume that there was a medical problem that necessitated that...
    Anonymous

• I was 4cm & 70% effaced (36 weeks) the first time and 5 cm & 80% effaced when I had my membranes stripped the 2nd & 3rd time (37 & 38 weeks), It didnt work and I ended up getting induced (for medical reasons, not because the stripping didnt work) It wasnt painful for me at all and I think it was because I was so dilated. If it works, it should work pretty much instantly. You should be crampy and the cramps should increase and then contractions should start. If you feel nothing... it probably didnt work. I went walking after each of my strippings and it didnt get me anywhere
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:35 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• When my dr did that to me, she said that if you're not ready for labor, it won't work. Because you're so dilated and effaced, I would assume it should work for you. I had it done at 38 weeks on Monday. My plug came out on Thursday, and my braxton hicks contractions intensified. I had it done at 39 weeks on Monday, my contractions stayed the same, and I started labor the following Thursday at 39 weeks and four days. I was only 1cm dilated and not effaced both times she did it. I was having some medical problems and we were trying to avoid an induction at all costs. I was scheduled for an induction seven days after I had my baby. I had kidney stones that needed removed, so the baby was never in danger, I was just in a LOT of pain.
    Anonymous