another thrush question

I'm getting up at 3am since the nystatin needs to be put on every 6 hours. My question is will it still work on me if I don't put it on my nipples at 3am? I can get it on baby just fine without waking her, but if I move she wakes up and won't go to sleep without nursing which I can't do for at keast 45 min. Thanks!

mom06and09

Asked by mom06and09 at 12:11 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried using a probiotic powder? Sprinkle it on your nipples just before you feed the baby. When baby is finished, rub a drop of breastmilk on your nipples, let them completely air dry, and sprinkle on more probiotic.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:14 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Oh and how often do I need to change my breast pads? I was only changing them every few days (when they got so full they couldn't hold anything else. That was due to financial hardship) now, because of the thrush, I'm changing them everytime my breasts are exposed but it seems like there no milk on any of them so I'm just wasting them. How often should I be changing them?
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 12:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• You can use old washcloths or cut up old sheets to use as breastpad. Don't leave them for more than a few hours; yeast loves warm, damp places.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:31 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Change the breastpads frequently - - you can use cloth pads that are washable if you don't want to have to buy as many, but not changing them multiple times a day will only encourage the yeast to grow and thrive.

As for the nystatin cream - put it on AFTER each nursing session - that way you will know for sure that it's been long enough when it's time to nurse again.

Also, make sure you're boiling any pacifiers that baby is using after each use, and consider using probiotics (powder supplement, or even eating a lot of extra yogurt) and grape seed oil.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 1:14 PM on Dec. 2, 2009