Would it be wrong to become a teacher in a public school but then home school my own kid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• That would be hard to do if you are at school all day long. Who would be home "teaching" your child?

Answer by admckenzie at 12:31 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• OP- I would do it in the evening and weekends.
    Anonymous

• I will add that I went back to college and got my Master's in Education so I could homeschool my grandson. So if you mean you will get your degree in teaching to teach your child then I'm all for it.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• So what will the child do all day?

Answer by admckenzie at 12:34 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• OP- I guess he would be with a babysitter, hopefully someone who could help with the homeschooling. This is all a long way off I'm just thinking about it. Like 5 years off.
    Anonymous

• In my opinion.....take it or leave it....if you do it in the evenings and on the weekends, during the day your kids are at daycare or whatever the situation is, and then the only time you get to spend time with them( the time you DON'T have to go over lesson plans for you your class and homework and other stuff from your job), your thier teacher...teaching them things and not being able to just relax and have fun with them.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 12:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I don't think it's wrong to do both but it might give mixed messages to your child. He/she might wonder if he/she isn't good enough for school like mommy's students. (kids take so many things personally)

Answer by admckenzie at 12:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I agree that it would be hard. I don't think you have to be home all the time to homeschool. It only takes an hour or two a day of homeschooling to equal a public school education.

Want to move to Arizona? In Arizona charter schools are funded by the state and kids go free. I live in Tucson and there are lots of charter schools. Many of the high schools have a focus and offer classes that have college credit. They advertise, "come to our school and get a private school education for free!"

Many of the schools for younger kids are small and look interesting.

I homeschooled my three sons and they are now adults. I have a grandbaby that my son would never send to a regular public school. Here there is a chance we will find a nice charter school.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Will your child have to go to daycare while you're working? Poor thing is going to feel very out of place being school age with all of the toddlers running around. I think it's sad that you want to teach children fulltime, yet your child will have to wait until evenings and weekends to spend time with them. Sorry this is JMO...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:40 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• It wouldn't be wrong, but I wouldn't do it. Being a public school teacher takes more time than most people realize. There is no free time in the evenings to teach AGAIN once you get home. The lesson plans don't write themselves. The papers don't grade themselves. There are parents to call, tests to analyze, mountains of papers to go through. There are meetings after school, before school, inservices, trainings. . .. Then, you go home and have those duties, too! Dinner, kids, husband, house to clean, bills to pay, aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Someone's going to get short changed. If it's your students, you get fired. If it's your kids, well, look out!

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2009