Couple of questions for military moms

My "brother from another mother" is getting deployed tomorrow. This will be his 1st tour and he is a Marine. I have a few questions about that little flag with the star that people put out when their loved ones are overseas. I would ask him but he is taking too long to call me back. lol

1) can close friends display that flag or is it just for immediate family?

2)where can I get one?

3) what is the meaning/tradition/story/whatever you want to call it behind those flags?

That's all the questions I have. Oh, and thank you(and your SO if they are military as well) for fighting for our country and double thank you for my freedom.

ICPclwnLOV

Asked by ICPclwnLOV at 12:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• Anyone who has a loved one deployed and wants to display them may. There are no restrictions. My Wal Mart carries them as well as the PX on base. If the star is blue that means you have a loved one serving 'overseas" They also sell them with gold stars. Gold stars means a loved one died while serving overseas.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2009