how can i get my daughter to let me feed her with a baby spoon?

she doesnt like the spoon but she with take it out of a medicine dropper

shellysmommy

Asked by shellysmommy at 12:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's probably just wierd and unfamiliar to her. Put it up to her nose so she can smell it. Once she smells it, she should open her mouth to eat.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 12:44 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I hated those spoons. I used those feeders that has a nipple. I just put the food in the feeder and it was like using a bottle. It's a good transitional way to feed. That way when the child was ready we moved on to spoons and/or finger food and I didn't have to fight with the child.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:46 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• If she won't eat it from a spoon, she's not ready for it. No reason to rush solids.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:47 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• She is onle 3 months old, that is far too young. She "likes" the medicine dropper because she still has a very strong sucking relfex and tongue thrust. I put "likes" in quotes because it isn't that she enjoys it, it is more that her reflex is stimulated. She doesn't take the spoon because at her age she is designed to reject and push any foreign objects out of the mouth. She is build for sucking and swallowing liquid. Pureed foods dangerously try to bypass this failsafe to choking and ingesting foods the gut isn't ready for.

Put away the spoon. When she is ready she will be able to sit unassisted AND will have lost the tongue thrust reflex. By that time she may insist on using the spoon herself or help with it or just want to grab food with her hands.

Baby food you buy is overpriced, tasteless (or tastes awful) and unnecessary. Babies, when ready, will eat the same food you eat very happily.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• A baby younger than 6 months old should be having formula/breastmilk exclusively. And after that...

Remember: "Food before 1 is just for fun"

This website explains how a baby will (when given appropriate options) will feed themselves when they reach an appropriate age: http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/blw/engels.html

No fuss; no muss and cheap.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• If she doesn't want a spoon, then then she is too young - - did I read that she is only 3 months? Put the solids away for a few more months at least!
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 1:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• If she's 6 months or older you can try table foods. Just get her onto feeding herself early and you can avoid the spoon all together. I let my son investigate the spoon first. Let him play with it, so he could see that it was harmless.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Oh wow I didn't know that she was only three months old! You're setting her up for digestive troubles and food allergies by giving her solids that young.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 2:59 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• If she won't take it, it's likely that she isn't ready.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:59 PM on Dec. 2, 2009