Can you tell if a 2 1/2 year old might have ADHD?

My 2 1/2 year old daughter is VERY active. She runs around in circles, jumps up and down, etc. I have an older (4 yr old) daughter who was active but not THIS active. The child looks like she snorted crack or something! (Just a joke I swear, lol - not, never have been and never will be a drug user.)

Can you tell at this early of an age if it is just extra energy or ADHD?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 12:46 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Toddlers are too young to effectively determine ADHD vs just being very active. My 2 yr old has far more energy than is good for either of us but I just make sure to give him lots of opportunity to burn if off. I've noticed with my son that despite his energy level, when soemthing is of interest to him, he can and will sit to focus on it. I'd be more concerned if he was totally unable to do that. For what it's worth, I have a nephew with ADHD (who's now a teen). he just exudes a nervous energy that has a very different feel to it from my son. It has always been tough to spend much time indoors with my nephew as he is absolutely constant, restless motion.
    Anonymous

• Extreme hyperactivity alone does not mean your child has ADHD. I know many children who were very, very hyper, and really it was just how they were. My sister was like that as a child, so is her son, but not her daughter. My husband was, and now my son is. He takes after his daddy. ADHD isn't just hyperactivity. It's better determined while they're older and in school. Children with ADHD have a very hard time focusing on school work and other activities, they struggle with learning, and paying attention.
    Anonymous

• *I* can't and you probably can't. If you have concerns, you need to address them to a developmental pediatrician and/or pediatric psychologist.

Can those TRAINED see it, yes at this age IF IT IS EXTREME BEHAVIOR. If not extreme, they will "monitor" him until they can be sure either way.
    Anonymous

• Your toddler sounds just like a, well, toddler.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:53 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• No you can't tell. It's impossible. The thing with ADHD and ADD is the symptoms are very common in toddlers and children. The symptoms are vague and only to the extreme are they considered a disorder. Your child sounds like a toddler. You can't compare your child to the older one, because they're not the same person. Each child is different from the next even within the same household. Your child just sounds like she has a lot of energy and a lot of toddlers do.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• haha sounds like my son.. He won't even watch TV Commercial or movie yeah right!!! I doubt he's ADHD cause what I've read about it, they are lacking a lot of times that split second thought process not to do certain things.. I see my son's sheepish grin before he starts lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:53 PM on Dec. 2, 2009