Will Metformin help me lose weight?

has anyone tried it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Metformin is a medication to treat diabetes. It is not a diet pill, nor should you expect it to help you lose weight even if you are taking it for diabetes. As far as using it for dieting, it may change the way your body uses sugars for energy, but it alone is not going to help in a weight loss battle.
    I am diabetic, and I take metfomin; what I have noticed as far as losing weight is that I can drop it IF I keep tabs on my carbohydrate intake. It is a fact that carblhydrates affect the ability of your body to create it's natural insulin; and it is known that keeping your carbohydrate intake down to a certain range can dramatically help in a weight loss battle.
    Since May, I have been simply substituting carbs with more protein (instead of mashed potatoes, I eat and extra serving or two of vegetables and more meat), and so far, I am up to a 47 pound weight loss.
    Hope that helps.
    yellowrose11026

Answer by yellowrose11026 at 2:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Diets and diet aids are temporary fixes. Unless you learn how to eat healthy for life, you will not be able to maintain a healthy weight and will stay on the gain/lose roller coaster - frustrating for you and hard on your body. Drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water every day. Eat 6-7 servings of whole grains (brown rice, whole grain bread, etc.) every day. Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables every day, in at least 3 different colors. Eat at least 2 servings of legumes every day. You will lose weight. You will have more energy. You will maintain a healthy weight. You will get sick less often. You will be setting a wonderful example for your children. You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html
    Eat an apple or a big pile of vegetables before meals.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Do you have a medical condition like PCOS that would require metformin? If so it should help you. It's not a diet drug but if you have insulin resistance it would mean you could lose weight like a regular person instead of struggling for every ounce.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 3:07 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• rkoloms, Metformin is not a diet pill, why don't you do some research before randomly posting this? I have seen it so much.
    Anonymous