Nervous habit or serious condition?

My 2 1/2 yr old dd has a nervous habit of picking at her finger and toenails to the point that they are torn off below the quick of the appendage. Looks very painful to me, she says it doesn't hurt. Is it something I need to be concerned about and how do I stop her from doing it? (She is the type of kid that when you tell her no don't do that, she smiles and does it anyway. She has had a broken arm and stiches in her head already because she is fearless) Any advice would be appreciated!

jenree33

Asked by jenree33 at 12:53 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• have you asked a doctor about this?....
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 12:59 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I have not. It seemed to be just something she did if her nails were to long, now it's at night, when watching cartoons, etc....It just seems to be happening to often.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 1:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• sounds like its just become a habit. maybe hard to break though. my 4 yr old chews her nails down to nothing. her dad mentioned to me that he did the same thing when he was a kid.
    Anonymous

• She says it doesn't hurt? Check to make sure she can actually feel pain. It might not be that she is fearless, but that she can't feel the pain of the injury. That's just a thought.
    Also it could be a nervous habit or something she does out of boredom. Talk to the doctor and see if they have any suggestions.
    I would suggest putting socks on her feet throughout the day, maybe that'll keep her from picking at her feet. Not sure how to remedy the hands.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2009