Is this normal after having your gallbladder out?

I had my gallbladder removed 13 days ago. Since then, I have been using the bathroom...a lot (sorry, tmi!) I asked the doc at my followup and he said this was normal. I noticed lately though that my clothes were getting loose, and just weighed myself and am down 18 lbs from when I was weighed in the hospital (about 12 days). I know they are diff scales, so it could be off by a few lbs, but damn, still...I don't have much extra weight to begin with, and I feel like I'm going to look sickly if I lose more. Is this normal? I have another appt in a week, but just wondering until then...

SuperMomOfSeven

Asked by SuperMomOfSeven at 12:57 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Health

• to me that doesn't sound right. and I didn't expirience after having mine taken out!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 1:00 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I lost about 10 pounds. Some of your weight loss may be water weight that comes back on when you start feeling better. They probably told you that you could eat a normal diet but you may find you don't feel good if you eat too much fat at one time. Try to eat more and I hope you are feeling back to normal soon.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• It is normal for some people to lose weight. I believe it has to do with something the gallbladder normally secretes not being there to breakdown fats so your body no longer absorbs it. Bile? Or maybe something else. I would be concerned about getting the proper nutrition and I would ask the doc if there are any supplements you should take like Ensure.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 1:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I didn't have the bathroom issue, but I did lose some weight. My brother on the other hand said he uses the bathroom about 10 times a day since having his out. So, I guess it's normal for some.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 1:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• i had mine out 4 years ago and i still go several times a day, i ended up with a bile salts problem (might not be right term).
    Anonymous

• I lost 15lbs after my gallbladder was removed.... remember, your body is processing fats differently now .. stay away from sat fat and fried foods .. and spicy foods for a while.... that will help with the "bathroom trips"... also, drink plenty of water .. part of your weight loss is water loss.. BUT, if you are still going through this 4 weeks after your surgery .. you should be checked out. I was losing weight and "going" alot about 21 days after my surgery
    SaraM0412

Answer by SaraM0412 at 3:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I have to go several times a day, especially if fatty oils or the food is high in fat. Stress also has an effect on it. I had mine taken out when I was pregnant with my daughter. I have never been able to eat the things that I could before. I also never lost weight, but may have been because I was pregnant. I was told these symptoms would last the rest of my life. Yuck, it's embarrassing!!
    jamieobrien_84

Answer by jamieobrien_84 at 5:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I had mine out almost two years ago and I am still running to the bathroom most of the time after I eat. Some people have it for the rest of their lives and other just for a short while. Good Luck!!!
    myangel21

Answer by myangel21 at 7:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I had mine out 10 years ago. I'm in the br often too but dam no weight loss, lol' If your concerned then see another doc to get a 2nd oppinion!
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 7:15 AM on Dec. 3, 2009