What exactly is PCOS?

How would one know you have this? Are there any symptoms, or is this only something a Doctor would know.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Health

• Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome. It means you have one or both ovaries covered in multiple cysts. Because of this the ovaries don't function properly and cause a myriad of problems. Abnormal periods, heavy bleeding, extreme pain, excess hair growth, skin tags, infertility. Usually an ultra sound is used to diagnose. Most women form small cysts on their ovaries regularly. They develope and reabsorb. with PCOS it is many at one time. They can become hemmorhagic (bleed) in extreme cases. That is how I lost my right ovary and fallopian tube. Some women with PCOS have allllll the symptoms while others have one or even none. Some don't find out they have it until they have difficulty getting pregnant. I was told I would never have kids. BS! I was pregnant 4 times and gave birth to 3.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2009