Surely this isn't fat I've gained, is it? Opinions please?

In 3 months I've went from 136 to 154. That's extreme! I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a year and a half ago, but I've never really had much of a problem out of it since I was diagnosed. In fact, I haven't had any symptoms, and still don't, but I'm still taking the medications just in case. Is it possible that this could be waste build up? and is there a detox/cleanse I can do that anyone would suggest?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I would love to know. I have been lifting weights for three weeks and have gained way more than just muscle. My rings are looser but my pants are tighter and I can't stop eating!
    Anonymous

• My co-woker gained 14 pounds in three weeks, so why would you think its impossible to gain that much in three months!!!! It would suck, but its possible. I wouldnt suggest a detox. Just natural drink more water...good luck with that though!
    Anonymous

• Sometimes exercise can make a person hungry enough that if you eat the wrong foods you will gain weight. A detox isn't going to do it. You need to find another kind of exercise that doesn't make you hungry, stop eating even if you are hungry, or eat different foods.

If you go to google and type in super foods you will find different lists of foods. The lists have a lot of the same foods. These are the kinds of foods you should eat the most.

The DASH diet is a good eating plan for life that is good for your heart and preventing other health problems. If you go to google and type in DASH diet you will find stuff you can print out and put on your fridge.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Anon:00- it takes up to 6 weeks for you to start loosing weight and to see results. Since you are building muscle before you actually start to loose the fat, you will gain.

To OP. I would get it checked out because aging can change how hypothyroidism effects you.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• 18lbs over 3 months isn't that extreme, that only works out to about 750 extra calories a day assuming all other things remain equal so it's perfectly possible to gain that much just by quitting the gym and eating a bowl of ice cream each day. It is probably a thyroid issue though, I'd call your doc and have them check your meds.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 3:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• It is totally possible to gain 18 lbs in three months. I'm assuming the real issue is that you don't think you've done anything that would cause such a significant weight gain. If that is the case (activity level and food intake has not changed) and you know you have a thyroid disorder, I think you should see your doctor. A large weight gain like that in a short period of time, without a change in activity level or food intake is not normal. Is it possible you are pregnant? A detox or cleanse is not a good weight loss method IMO.

EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 6:44 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• To Anon 2:00pm. Are you sure your food intake has not changed? Sometimes people think "I can have that because I worked out today", but in reality the food you are eating has way more calories than what you burned during your workout. It's a common mistake to overestimate the amount of calories burned during a workout. As an example, lets say you are a beginner exerciser doing 30 mins of weight training. If you're lucky you might be burning 150 calories if you are working hard and not resting between sets. Weight training has the added benefit of keeping the metabolism elevated for a few hours after your workout, but only if you're working hard. Lets say you burn another 100 in the hours after your workout, 250 in total. There are more calories than that in a bagel. As you get stronger and can lift heavier you will burn more calories, but you always have to watch food intake.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 6:57 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Sorry ran out of room. Again to Anon 2:00. You've only been lifting weights for 3 weeks and that is not enough time to build a significant amount of muscle. Especially if you are a beginner exerciser or haven't worked out in a long time. You may be finding that you can lift weights that are a bit heavier, but at this stage it's mostly a neuromuscular change. Meaning your brain is solidifying the pathways between it and your muscle. So in the beginning what you're seeing is a practice effect. You're not lifting more because your muscles are stronger, but because you're becoming more efficient with the movement patterns. Give it a few more weeks and you will see changes in the actual strength of the muscle.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 7:04 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• It's probably fat and maybe a little water retention. Watch what you eat (look into the Abs Diet or the Eat Clean Diet) and try to cut out as much sodium as you can (in case you're retaining water).

To the 1st anon, sorry to say, but you can't make any significant muscle gains in 3 weeks, you'd be VERY lucky to gain a pound of muscle in that amount of time.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:19 AM on Dec. 4, 2009