values and morals vs family safety.

Would you put your family at risk in order to live up to your values and morals? The same values and morals that you are trying to teach your children. Or would you do anything possible to keep your family safe?

Example: The government decides that all Americans will be forced to convert to a religion that is not your own (or insert offense here. it could be forced vaccination, or forced circumcision. anything. it doesn't have to be as intense as religion). Do you refuse and thus, put your family at risk? Or do you convert even if you continue your own religious beliefs in secret?
What would you be teaching your children and all others by making the choice you chose?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 1:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• That has actually happened. Remember the Holocaust? And how about Pagans bringing Yule trees indoors to escape persecution because they wouldn't convert? As for the Holocaust, I'm talking about the Jewish people going into hiding not
    just because of the concentration camps, but to worship their own way. Some were brave enough to not wear the star they were told to wear. I would have no problem continuing to follow my spiritual beliefs in the face of persecution. Yes, I would do it in hiding. I would explain to my kids how wrong it is for anyone to be forced to worship a certain way, or to get shots they don't want, etc. I have always taught my kids to think for themselves and question everything that makes no sense.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 10:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Ah. The kind of issues that drove the Puritans out of England, then?

Very likely I would take neither of your options and instead follow their example. DH is a dual citizen of France.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I think it would really depend upon what the specifics where at what the repercussions could mean for my family. In addition I am married so it isn't soley my decision but a family decision. If the punishment for refusing a governmentla service (vaccination, hitler youth, whatever) or not joining the national faith was something minor like a fine or imprisonment, not only would I refuse it for my family I would be actively against it. If the punishment were far worse ( like another holocaust ) then my family would hide our respective faith and practise secretly. Why? Because I could never inflict that kind of torture on my child for my ideals. If it were just me having consequences then I wouldn't hesitate. Because it isn't just my life, I have to take that into account.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 1:49 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• It really depends. Out of fear you can do a lot of things to protect your family. If I was Jewish and I lived in Austria in the 1930's I would probably of faked being Christian so I could protect my children. Its a very odd question I mean look at all the horrible things going on in many African countries like Darfur, Chad, and others. I would do a lot to keep myself and my kids safe.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• small things like vaccinations & circumcision being forced wouldnt bother me (im on the fence about both anyways). i wouldnt agree w/ it being forced, but family safety is far more important than small things.

i would leave the country if it was as big an issue as religion. and if i couldnt leave the country, id pretend to convert, but explain to my DD that it was only so i could take care of her. i would continue to believe b/c nothing can make you stop thinking, at least not yet.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Thats funny because I think about this sometimes. It happens in other countries, even today, and its not such an absurd idea that it would happen in America.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• i'd go back to my birth place. mexico!
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I wouldn't convert, and I wouldn't say that it meant I was putting my family at risk either. You have to understand that I believe God will see us through and protect us no matter what, and I will never reject his name. I believe his hands will remain upon my family and protect us, regardless. I only seeing him taking his hands off my life when I reject him for the world. I trust him, and have faith that he will be by my side just as I stand by his.
    Anonymous

• I would fake it and let them know I was faking it and why. I would be teaching them survival and how to overcome extremism while still keeping your life. This might seem cowardly to some, but my life and the lives of my children are what's most important to me. I can't bear the thought of being without them and I don't want to leave them without a mother, and so going along would be- to me- the thing to do.

Now, if I didn't have a family I would spit in the eye of the Religious regime and die for my lack of beliefs...

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I'd move back to Europe, heh. I knew there was a reason I kept my European passport!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2009