Im glad she had a good attitude about it.... but dont you think it is wrong to request?

We live in a VERY diverse area. One of the local high school wrestling teams decided to sell Christmas Trees as a fundraiser. Problem is MANY of the students are Jewish. My girlfriend (who is Jewish) found it very odd, but was polite about it and did her best to sell.

But dont you think a public school should have thought of some other kind of fundraiser???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Not really. Christmas trees are the big seller this time of year. Even people who are not Christian VERY often decorate a Christmas tree (self included). They're just trying to get the most $$ they can... and they can't please everyone... so Christmas trees would seem a logical choice to me.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Hmm, I don't necessecarily see anything wrong with it. Lots of people have Christmas trees, not just Christians. It's not even a Christian symbol, but a pagan one, originally. I'm an atheist, and I always have a Christmas tree, so I guess I don't really associate it with any specific religion... Now nativity scenes, I probably would have not found appropriate.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• So far as fundraisers go....Christmas trees are a big seller. That may be why they selected that particular item. And when you consider that they are often set up in lots and people driving by stop to purchase, it would not necessarily be contingent on the religion of the people helping to sell. I think that perhaps they were just looking at a big ticket item to try to help fundraise and not meaning to offend. Perhaps Momma could help them come up with other fundraising ideas that would be less offensive to her in the future? I know they are always looking for good ideas to assist.
    Anonymous

• Im curious if the op or any of the responders are jewish
    Anonymous

• Anon :58, Christian here. But I have Jewish friends who celebrate using both a Christmas tree, as well as menorah.
    Anonymous

• It is a strange fundraiser. Hope they raised the funds they needed.  I'm sure the lady was just trying to be creative how many entertainment books, wrapping paper, and boxes of popcorn can people buy?

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• No, I think they should have sold something that no one want to buy at this time of year.

It's a fundraiser, generally when you are trying to raise money you sell things that lot's of people want to buy.
    Anonymous

• My brothers Jewish friends love to come to his house every Christmas eve and they always comment on the tree. I never thought decorating a tree was that controversial. It would not bother me if they adopted the tradition themselves. So no didn't think it offensive but I'm not Jewish either...
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 2:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Its not like they were selling nativity ornaments.
    GrungeMum

Answer by GrungeMum at 2:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• It is not uncommon for Christmas tree fundraisers to pop up all over the place this time of yr...
    As others have said, it's something that sells this time of yr...
    I hope the fundraiser goes well and the kids earn what their goal....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2009