How much is a year old baby supposed to pee & poo in 24hrs?

My son hardly eats anything... it's a constant battle. He has always been this way ever since he was a new born. He would always eat less than other kids his age & refuses to eat, takes two bites & he just wants to play & climb on things. Eating is the least of his worries... but not mine. His growth has slowed down this past months according to the pediatrician.
He eats about 8-10 oz of solid food (or baby food) in 24hrs & about 3x 8oz formula bottles... He can drink cow milk but since he doesn't get much nutrients out of the food, the pediatrician recommended to keep him on formula last time I saw her (which was at his 9 months check up)
Well, I am not sure how many full diapers (pee) he has per day... maybe about 3??? But I know that he has at least 1 big poopy diaper per day (sometimes more) or if he doesn't make a big poop, he will have 2-4 little poops in 24hrs...
So is his pee & poo telling me he is eating enough?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Look for about 4-5 dipes a day. His growth is supposed to slow in the second six months (or you'd have trouble lifting him!). He's supposed to stay on formula all the way through the first year. Other milk at the first birthday.

He sounds quite normal. Toddlers live on air and the occasional chicken nugget.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:07 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My soon poops once a day, and I change his pee diapers about 4-5 times a day. He eats a TON and drink 4 6 oz bottles of formula. He also drinks juice, milk, and water. Since he's turned one he's not so interested in eating, he has slowed down A LOT on how much he eats. But he's a big boy 32 in and 27.7 lbs. He's in the 90 percentile, but he always has been. To me it sounds normal what your son is doing. My son doesn't eat baby food anymore though so I don't know on the baby food aspect
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 2:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• When they get to be a year old, their bladders are bigger. Doing a "diaper count" is not nearly as accurate any longer. One poop a day sounds fine to me...I mean, how many times a day do you poop? He's not a baby any longer, he's a toddler.

Their growth usually does slow the closer they get to one year, but how much is what would say if there was a problem or not.

Why is he still on baby food? Will he not eat table foods? Table foods are going to put more calories in him that baby food.

As for the constant not-eating problem since birth...what has the doctor been having you do? I mean if there is a problem, what is it?

I have to agree with the doctor that he needs to stay on formula until he's eating better. Steer clear of the milk altogether. If he starts liking it and refusing formula, you have a real problem.
    Anonymous

• No he hardly eats baby food anymore, just every once in a while, he does eat gold fish, chips, vanilla waffers & some of our regular food. He will spit up the meat & the veggies...
    But the problem is that he does NOT want to eat anything beside that junk food & he doesn't even eat that much of it for me to stop worrying!
    Anonymous

• The pee and poop sounds about right to me - I change wet diapers 4-5 times/day and then he messes once. Have you tried "masking" healthy food? My oldest ate only junk so I modified a carrot cake recipe - it used applesauce instead of sugar and it had raisins in it and he would eat that. And things like banana or zucchini bread. Granted, it's more work but maybe you could get a little in him.
    Also there's that book by Jessica Seinfeld "Deceptively Delicious" that hides nutritious foods in things like brownies, cookies, etc. It would be better if you could teach him healthy food habits, but sometimes moms do what they have to. Just a thought.

Answer by missanc at 3:46 PM on Dec. 2, 2009