Do those on FS "deserve" to buy more expensive foods ??

DO think they should be able to eat more expensive foods as in steak , organic foods etc. ???

I know some people think that if you are on FS you shouldn't be eating "luxury " foods .

IMO why shouldn't they be able to eat good food ?????? Maybe they got on FS so they could provide their family better food than mac and cheese and hot dogs all the time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• troll
    Anonymous

• I don't find this trollish at all! The problem with FS is you're only alotted a certain amount a month, right? I think the reason that less expensive and not as good for you foods are purchased by those who depend on food stamps, is because they have to budget out for the entire month.
    DreamingOfMyDay

Answer by DreamingOfMyDay at 2:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Just in case you are serious, here is why. Those of us who work for our money and still can't afford to buy healthy food, because we're paying our own bills, have no one worrying about us being able to buy good food so we can continue to support those who are living off of us. FS are not a way for anyone to get healthy food per se, they are a way to help you out of a jam financially until you can support yourself. FS are not a long term solution, they are meant to be a helping hand for a short time.
    Anonymous

• People on food stamps should be able to buy whatever the hell they want. If they want to blow it all on steak and shrimp instead of planning rounded out meals that the entire family can enjoy, that's their problem. If they want to blow it all on Pop Rocks and Coke, so be it. When they're out of money on the 15th of every month, it'll be them hurting, not me. When I was on food stamps, I treasured every one of those dollars. It just takes a little smart planning, that's all.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I AM on FS , and I am the OP and I can't get my hubby to eat anything different besides spaghetti , meatloaf, sloppy joes cheaper foods like that , I thought that MAYBE I would spend alittle more on groceries one meal and get some steaks to have one night as a treat . IT WOULD NOT BE A EVERY WEEK THING ! Just ONE meal one time !!
    Anonymous

• all I know is that everytime I recieved foodstamps they gave me twice as much as I was used to....same goes for alot of people I have known to get foodstamps......in some states you just get more then your used to....also most people on foodstamps feel like loosers ( no offense) in the first place for not providing for their own family why should they have to settle for crap when they already feel like crap.
    I am however angainst buying anything in the chip isle with food stamps.....because the price of a bag of dortioes can get you a gallon of milk instead.
    Anonymous

• Everyone should be allowed to eat healthy foods. It reduces illness and keeps the cost of medical bills down which the tax payers should love if the FS family is also receiving help with medical bills

Answer by admckenzie at 2:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Deserve is a strong word. But people that receive food stamps are receiving them so that they can provide their families with healthy nutritional food. So if they want to buy tofu and organics that's their business. I do however have a problem with people using food stamps to purchase chips, soda and candy. That is not healthy or nutritious.
    Anonymous

• Well, how am I supposed to feel when we have past due notices and can barely afford to buy diapers and food for my family and then see the person in front of me checking out buying steaks and other "luxury" type foods. But THANK GOODNESS they are feeling better about themselves! I would hate for anybody on f.s. to HAVE to buy hamburger meat or fish sticks instead of steak and shrimp because it might lower their self esteem! Low self esteem is NO EXCUSE for wasteful spending of TAX PAYERS dollars.
    Anonymous

• let the people on FS live their lives. they don't need people looking down on them.

the view must be nice up high on your pedestals. but it's gonna hurt when you fall. for those of you against any form of PA, i hope you need it one day, then you'll understand a REAL struggle. not everyone has golden opportunities that promise them 25,000 salaries. try feeding your family, paying rent, utilities, and making sure your kids clothes fit on 1200 a month.
    Anonymous