Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child support/probate court

I believe my ex received a large inheritance from his father who died last year. He is very behind in child support and has not reported receiving this, he is claiming he has no income/no way of paying child support. I know the city/county where his father was living when he passed away, is there any way for me to find out what was in his father's will?

Answer Question

Asked by missanc at 2:44 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 43 (163,403 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • my grandmother just died last year, I was named in her will. My uncle is the executor of the estate, and he sent out a copy to everyone that was named. If you can find out who that person is you could ask them, that is if you are close to anyone in the family still.

    The other thing you could do would be to wait until it has gone through the probate process, and the estate is settled everything should be recorded at your local courthouse. you could always ask the district magistrate that determines your child support payments for help in finding out too...

    Good luck, sorry he isn't paying.

    Answer by mereinhart28 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

  • OP here:
    thanks - it isn't local, it's in Maryland and I'm in NC which is why I was hoping for something online that I could check. I'm no longer close to anyone in the family. He had no relationship with his father when we were married, and not a close one after so I barely know his dad's "2nd family" It's gone through probate, he passed away last year and I think my ex already got the money, which is how he caught up on his car payments and now wants to pay for my daughter to take ballet (yes, he says he can pay for her classes, just not the child support!). I will also let the attorney know for Child Support Enforcement, maybe they can do something. Thank you again.

    Answer by missanc at 6:26 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.