When you introduce eggs to the babies are they allowed the yellows or the whites?

My baby is 11 months and I want to give him some eggs, I remember the pediatrician saying he was allowed one part of the egg, but is it the yellow or the white?

jagrus

Asked by jagrus at 2:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can give your baby egg yolk now; in fact, you should because they are fantastic for brain development. Hold off on the whites until after Baby’s first birthday; they are an allergy trigger food.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:06 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• The yolk is what they probably recommended. But everyone agrees that they can have the white at a year. Personally, after doing some updated research, I read that it was okay to give them the whole egg and I started my youngest (now 13 months) on whole eggs at around 7 months.

Answer by missanc at 2:47 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• the yolks cause they're soft and break up....the white require some teeth to be able to chew up
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 2:47 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• the reason whites aren't "allowed" according to some people is due to allergies, not the need for teeth

Answer by missanc at 2:57 PM on Dec. 2, 2009