Chores for teenagers?

What chores do you give your teens? (if any at all!!)
I have custody of my 16 year old sister, and I really don't ask her to do much. Just unload the dishwasher, do a share of the laundry (this includes folding and them putting away), and pick up whatever mess she makes. I know it's a typical teenage thing to be angry at having to do work, and my mom never gave her any chores. But she seriously acts like she's Cinderella whenever I remind her of these tasks. Apparently, none of her friends have chores. Or at least that's what she tells me.
It's not that I can't do those things, I'm just trying to teach her responsibility.
So really, tell me what your teens to around the house. I'm sure I'm not the only person who expects a tiny bit of effort. (preferably without the attitude attatched.)

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 3:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Just ignore the 'tude. If she didn't complain she wouldn't be normal.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• dishwasher, if she doesnt have a job she needs to do chores until she calls friends or until she goes out with friends dishwasher, and laundry and clean bathrooms at least once a week
    Armywifelovely

Answer by Armywifelovely at 3:06 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Lanudry (wash, dry, fold and put away) dishes after dinner and start dinner for my mother before she got home. clean my bathroom and make my bed everyday bfore i went anywhere and keep my bedroom clean. That was everything I had to do at 14 and if I did'nt get this stuff done then I couldn't go and hang out with my friends on the weekend and My family plus owned a pizza shop so i worked on saturdays and sundays. So ya i had alot on my shoulders but today my home is clean everyday, and I work my ass off to make sure that everything is done for my children and family.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:11 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• my kids do the kitchen 3 times a wk and then the family room. they clean their bathrooms once a wk or less as well as their bedrooms. if they want money they do things that i can't do due to new baby and time. such as wipe baseboards (i sometimes use this as discipline if they screw up at school, come home late etc), wash our cars, hose down window screens, wash our dogs. they don't do a very good job most of the time and i often find myself repeating to them to get their chores done. either way they should have the responsibility of chores and hopefully learn as they grow that sometimes you ahve to do things you don't want to do. my oldest has this saying. why agrue just do it! it doesn't or hasn't sunk into my younger sons brain as he puts it off as long as he can and often has to do it anyway and then some.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Are you kidding? My son (3 years old) unloads the dishwasher (well not the knives or anything he can't reach. He does the pots & pans, his dishes cause he's got a drawer for his stuff, the cutting boards, and silverware) plus he's expected to clean up after himself. He also helps bring groceries in the house and considering having him start helping load the laundry into the washer. So you can imagine what he will do as a teenager. Good luck and tell her that she's got it easy =P
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 3:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2009