32 weeks pregnant -fetus too big???

I went to the doctor today for a sonogram, and my baby is measuring approx. 4 pounds, 10 ounces already. The doctor seemed a bit worried since I'm so small. Said that she is considered large at her current size. Has anyone had experience with these scans being wrong? I am terrified I am going to have to have a c-section, and I have a hyper 12 month old as well!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The sonogram can be off BY POUNDS in either direction at this point. Do not worry or let the doctor convince you you have a large baby. He literally has NO IDEA how big your baby is right now. More likely he's just trying to get you to induce. :(

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 3:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• What would having a C-Section and a hyper 12 month old have to do with each other?
    Anonymous

• Anon :14 here, Oh, nm, I read that wrong, sorry.
    Anonymous

• I would request an ultrasound closer to your delivery date to check size. The ultrasounds can be wrong, but they usually aren't off by much close to delivery date. I wouldn't worry about having a csection at this point, but if he's still measuring big closer to date, it would be safer to have a csection than risk a vaginal birth. Listen to your dr, get a 2nd opinion, and then decide what to do from there. But there's no reason to worry - I had to have a csection with my 4th due to concerns over size and it wasn't that bad - It was actually easier for me than having my first vaginally (he was so large he had shoulder dystocia)

Answer by missanc at 3:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• just tell yourself right now that you will not get a c-section because the doctor thinks baby might be big. :) those estimates are often off by a lot, and tiny women can birth 10 lb babies, it's in our nature. :) oh and i would also not do the induction thing just because he thinks baby might be big. that's just me! my guess is that everything is normal and he's worrying you over nothing :)
    Anonymous

• "The accuracy of ultrasound for detecting macrosomia seems to run generally from 50% to 65% or so, very low accuracy to be the basis for so much intervention. For example, Pollack et al. (1992) found that only 64% of the babies estimated to be macrosomic (big) actually were. Levine et al. (1992) found that HALF of the ultrasound predictions of fetal weight were incorrect. Delpapa and Mueller-Heubach (1991) found that 77% of ultrasound fetal weight predictions exceeded actual birthweight and only 48% were even within 500g (about one pound) of the actual birth weight. Furthermore, 23% were more than 1 pound overestimated, and 50% of the babies predicted to be macrosomic weren't macrosomic at all."

http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/Prenatal%20Testing/prenataltest-ultrasoundsafety.htm#Ultrasound%20for%20Estimating%20Fetal%20Weight
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 3:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Oh, I agree with the 1st post. My OB suggested I induce at my 36 wks sonogram within the next 2 weeks because my DS was measuring 6lb 14 oz... I had him 10 days later, and he came out 8lb 3oz. WAAAAAAY off. They can measure big, but in the same sense, they can also measure small. If you're worried, or your dr is concerned, and you want a natural birth, it may not be out of the question to consider induction.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• oh and i disagree with miss. i know so many women who have gotten estimates WAY off near delivery :) those estimates are notoriously bad.
    Anonymous

• Oh, and if you're worried about a c-section, don't induce. Induction increases your risk of having a c-section.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 3:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• matobe, induction can increase the risk of c-section so i wouldn't really advice that especially if you want a "natural" birth. :)
    Anonymous