to the SAHM

What do you do all day? I have a 3y/o & a 3month old and our days are filled with laziness! We don't ever do anything. Most days we don't even get out of our jammies. I would love to do things like go to the park or even just for walks but for some reason I never seem to do it. What's wrong with me that I can't get up and get things done?

mom06and09

Asked by mom06and09 at 3:14 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I can't stand staying in my house all day! Make some plans with friends so you aren't as tempted to break them.

Answer by missanc at 3:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• i also have a 3y.o and a 3month old.. my days are not filled with laziness though...i cook breakfast for me and my dd and feed the baby...then clean the kitchen. get the baby down for a nap and start laundry while he's asleep, fix dd some lunch then clean that up and while the laundry is being done i do "arts and crafts" with my dd...i try to keep the mess picked up but i usually do that after my kids go to bed..i'd like to go for walks too but it's been too cold for the baby to be out
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Sounds to me like you are a creature of habit. You need to plan to make each day an adventure. Just like getting up and going to work, set your alarm, get up and ready for the day (children too) and go the the library, park, botanical gardens, zoo, museum, etc. Most of these activities are free or close to free. I know how it is to have two kiddos close in age, but you gotta get out there and LIVE!
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 3:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My dghter is 19 months and some days I stay at home too. Most of the time tho she is up at 7. We have breakfast then she'll watch some Elmo. I usually make the bed and throw some wash in then I get dressed. I always have errands like food shopping, bank, Wal Mart etc. Once a week I take her to a playgroup and she loves it. In the summer we will go to the park or she will play in her pool etc. And I cant forget cooking dinner! lol Im not the biggest fan of it but I gotta do it... Do you cook?
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 3:35 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Maybe you're depressed. I really can't sit around all day...I would go NUTS and so would my DD. And how do you not have anything to do? Not bashing, but I just can't find enough time to get all of my chores done AND entertain my kiddo. I really don't know how working moms get it all done! They amaze me!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 3:35 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• We love to play outside. Play in sprinkler (summer), sidewalk chalk, paint with water, balloons, bubbles, drum on the buckets and listen to music, run errands, clean, homework with my oldest, library, collect acorns and leaves.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:48 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I'm overly spoiled. The only thing I really NEED to do is make ds breakfast/ lunch. Dh is home everyday by 1:30. He loves to cook so he makes dinner. He says being a SAHM of 2 is a full time job in itself so he doesn't care that the house is messy. On weekends we "clean" it if we stay home otherwise it just stays messy til one of us gets so sick of it that we clean it. I try to do the dishes everyday but if I don't get around to it its not the end of the world. Like I said its complete laziness. I hate putting blame on anyone cause I know I formed bad habits as a child. I was addicted to the tv, but I do kind of blame my mother. She never made me get up and do anything. I see it happening now with my little brother. I would make plans with people, but I don't know anyone around me (moved here and haven't made any new friends) everyone I know lives too far away. I have looked for groups online but always come up blank.
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Hon, it sounds like you know what you need to do.  If you can recognize the problem, which you did above, then you can come up with the solution.  I'd say, turn off the tv, clean the house, do a craft with your 3 y/o, go to the library, walk around the mall, etc.  Getting out is the only way you'll meet people.  Get determined to break that cycle!     ;-)  All the best!

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Make yourself go out if even just around the block. Set a routine and stick to it. it's really the only way. I used to walk my kids every day outside just to kill time. Then do lunch, then naps, then laundry and then dinner.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Since you clearly know you have a bad habit, it's time to take action to fix it. I'd make small goals for yourself to help build new habits and would start by simply turning off the TV. You might try making a list each evening of three things you're going to do the next day. One indoor activity for you and your kids. One household activity (i.e. clean on room). One outdoor activity. Each one can be small just force yourself to do it. Just keep in mind that as you blame your mom (at least a bit) for your bad habits, you're currently in danger of teaching the same things to your own kids!!! Time to take charge! Good luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:31 PM on Dec. 2, 2009