6 weeks old & cereal/sleeping

I have a six week old baby boy and he isn't sleeping well thru the night. I've heard of mixing cereal in the formula and giving it to them before bed. Has anyone tried this and did it work. Any other suggestion on how I can get him to sleep better will also be appreciated. He hates being swaddled so don't say that lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• do you really think his digestive trac is ready for cereal?
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 3:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Starting solids too soon can lead to a whole host of health issues later in life. Six weeks is too soon; six months is about right.

Why do you expect a newborn to sleep long stretches? I would be worried if your baby was.
    My daughter was 8 months old the first time she slept six solid hours; about 14 months when she started sleeping through the night on a regular basis.
    Two things kept me sane. The first was cosleeping; it was so easy to sleep/doze while my daughter nursed. The second is silly; when we took the newborn care class, the nurse teaching told us that the smarter they are, the less they sleep. While this is probably a myth, we embraced it, and have a pretty smart kid.

Good luck, and enjoy your little one!

Answer by rkoloms at 3:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• cereal never worked for me. A tummy of milk with proteins is more fullfinlling than starches that won't last through the night. I thought my first born didn't like swaddling either...now i realize that i shouldn't tried harder. My second took a little bit to learn how to swaddle but now she loves it.
    P33kab00

Answer by P33kab00 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• 6 weeks is too young for cereal in a bottle unless directed by the ped. Baby can get a very bad tummy ache and it will most likely back fire on you and keep him up longer with gas, bloat, aches etc... As for sleeping well, sorry mom you can't make a baby sleep well. You can give maybe a lavender bath before bedtime, feed him before laying him down but really you cant make him sleep. A newborn really is not designed to LOL.. Some babies do while others don't. If you are home, nap when the baby naps to help. Co- sleeping might work for you. If he sleeps best close to you, place one of your shirts in the crib with him, a ticking clock to mock your heart beat. There are alot of things you can try. Hope some of these help..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Babies SHOULDN'T sleep through the night when they are six weeks old! Please stop giving him cereal, not only does it NOT help them sleep it is bad for them! The World Health Organization, UNICEF, the American Academy of Pediatrics and the US Department of Health and Human Services all say not to introduce solids until 6 months AT LEAST.

Please read this: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 3:26 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• yeah the baby is a little too young for that, he wakes up because he needs to be fed, not to annoy you
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• No cereal. It's too early AND is a choking hazard. (I'm pretty sure you'd rather never sleep again than run the risk of baby nevr waking again.)

"Sleeping though the night" is a mere five hours, and that's not acheived in the first few months by the vast majority of babies.

Sorry, there is no easy way out of this. The Mommy Contract does have a section in very very very tiny print that says you aren't allowed to sleep more than two hours in a row ever again. They don't promote that much for fear of the human race dying out.

Now, SERIOUSLY! Survival mode. As in, if something's not needed to live, it's not needed for now. That means laundry, dishes, etc. Admission to see the baby is a chore of a casserole unless someone is too young or too old to do either.

This WILL pass.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• A 6 week old sleeping through the night is rare. Baby tummies are tiny and need to be refilled often. Adding cereal to a bottle will really not help your cause. It can cause food allergies and all sorts of digestive issues. It was too late for my kids, but they make this thing called a miracle blanket. It helps with the swaddling - it stays put.

Another thing you can do is looking at his feeding pattern and the last time you feed him before your bedtime. Gently try (and it might not work until he is older) and push it so if you are going to bed at 10:30 his last bottle is right before that. That way if he does sleep longer, you will get more rest as well. I don't mean with holding food while he is screaming for it, but if he doesn't seem tired or hungry, let him go an extra few minutes each feeding/nap cycle.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:59 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Babies that young need to feed often. He's also at a growth spurt age and his behavior is normal. He's not designed to eat ceraeal and you are asking for a whole new set of problems if you do it.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Don't listen to the previous posters. A mother knows best so if you think it's okay then do it. My mom has my son overnight once a week at least so that I can rest and she feeds him cereal mixed in formula from a spoon and he is only 7 weeks old. He sleeps good at night when he eats like that because I think they need more than just formula to fill them up. Get the rice cereal because its a lot smoother than the other cereal. Your not going to get a baby to sleep the normal 8 hrs but with the cereal in formula you can probably get 4-5 hours at a time. Good Luck Mama!
    Anonymous