7 month old with cold or allergies?

my son is teething and he seems miserable. well last night, i was rocking him to sleep and he seemed a little congested, but i didn't really pay any mind to it, but a little while ago, my boyfriend noticed that he was a little snotty in his nose.

what should i do as far as medicines and stuff?
should i call his pediatrician today, or wait it out and see if things get worse?
or could this be a cause of teething too?

ammbbbeeeerrrrr

Asked by ammbbbeeeerrrrr at 3:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Teething can cause a fever, stuffy nose and drowsiness. It's so easy to tell the difference, right? I'd call the doctor if it lasts more than 5 days or if the snot is a green color (although they say that babies aren't susceptable to sinus infections. I don't believe it.) If he gets a cough, that's a sign that it's more than teething.
    For a snotty nose, especially associated with a cold, you can put him in the bathroom with the hot shower running to steam up the bathroom...try sitting in there to read at night for the next couple of nights, and make sure it's good and steamy when you give him a bath. The steam works wonders on sinus issues. It's like a humidifier, but you're inside!
    For teething discomfot you can use Infant Tylenol. You may be able to use Children's motrin if your dr okays that- I'd call and check the dosage.
    Good luck!
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 3:13 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Dr's don't really recommend giving babies medicine for a cold. I know it's hard to see our children not feeling well, but we're supposed to let them fight it off on their own. I suggest using a humidifier in the room. What type of products do you use in your home? Many store bought products contain harmful chemical which may be making it worse. The number 1 children's shampoo contains formaIdehyde. (It's labeled as Q-15) I use all natural products in my home now. I don't want my children exposed to any harsh or harmful chemicals.

Check this website out.

www.CleanandGreenFamily.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 3:44 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• You're not supposed to give infants any medication.

The color of the snot has nothing to do with anything. Green or yellow does not mean an infection...not to mention that babies don't even have developed sinuses yet. The snot is just in the nose.

You can do steam and run a humidifier in his room (cool mist or steam...sometimes one works better than the other)
    Saline nasal drops and suction if you can see something.
    Elevate the head of his crib (towels under the mattress work well)
    Tylenol for discomfort.

Teething does not cause cold symptoms or fevers. That's an old wives tale.
    Anonymous