Has anyone ever had a Great bernese?

I have read up on Bernese mountain dogs and I have always wanted one. I have been searching for the right dog for over a year. Today I saw a local rescue has a "Great Bernese" for adoption. It is a hybrid of a BMD and a great perynese (sorry spelling?). All I could find out was that they have the same excellent temperment and are not very different from a BMD. I am waiting for the lady at the rescue to call back but I am kind of excited.... it is a 2 yr old MN, says he has a laid back personality and is great with other dogs, we have a 7 year old lab who is the same way, great with everyone and everything. So has anyone had one? what do you think?

starcrossedlove

Asked by starcrossedlove at 3:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Pets

• I have no experience with this mix but i do with the two differant breeds and i can tell you that they are both wonderful dogs. I would go meet the dog and have the two dogs meet if you really like this one and if they get along and he seems to fit into your family i would go for it. The only negative thing i can say is with a dog that size you will be spending more at the vet for flea/tick, heartworm and antibiotics and any surgeries that may be needed in the future.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:40 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I've never had one myself, but I worked at a company where the owner had one, and would bring it to work every day... Wonderful dog, very calm and affectionate. They do require quite a bit of work on their coats though, so be prepared for that! And THANK YOU for looking to adopt a rescue dog!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:37 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• thank you both for your excellent answers! Our Lab is 101lbs so we have experience with large dogs. I figured we would go meet him, have our dog meet him and hopefully it is a good fit. I want a keeper!!! The tick/flea, hearworm bills are ok with us. We talked about it and it is totally worth it. Plus I would get insurance for him. I <3 rescue pets!
    starcrossedlove

Answer by starcrossedlove at 4:00 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Since you have a huge lab, I bet you have a good vacuum. The fur is longer so the shedding can be a super hassle.

Do you have a furminator? Both breeds are good to send to the groomer for a strip down in Feb/March. When you do your frontline top spot, make sure you get it down below the coat. Our vet recommends to run it down the whole back on dogs that large and dense-coated.

Great breeds! Your older gentleman dog is in for a treat.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:46 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Pyranees will definitely add monstrous size and add an extra vaccuum bag of hair.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 7:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Lots of drool and slobber.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 9:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Just curious, does he have the Bernese coloring?
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 9:46 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Are you sure you have time to deal with a new dog and all the training/messes that one requires?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• No Anon I have no idea what I will do. I am a SAHM who was raised on a farm.... two dogs.... I think I got it. Besides the dog is 2 and from a family home with basic training.
    starcrossedlove

Answer by starcrossedlove at 1:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2009