will you be donating your cord blood?

i'm on my third pregnancy and JUST NOW learned that donating cord blood is an option. i had to learn this on my own. i really wish my doctor would have informed me that i had this option and i wanted to spread the word to anyone who might not have known (just like me). unlike storing it for your personal use (which costs thousands of dollars), donating cord blood is free. it contains stem cells that could potentially save lives from countless diseases & cancers. so instead of them disposing your valuable cord blood with other useless biological waste, please consider donating your cord blood.

i'm asking this as a mother who can't afford to store our own cord blood. i'm happy to say i will be donating. it might not help my kids, but it could help someone else. if we all band together and we all donate, we can make a HUGE difference. thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• We will not be cutting the cord until 2 hours after the baby is born. I would like my baby to get all of her blood back. After that I am going to encapsulate my placenta. So no cord blood here. But that is a good idea for parents who choose to cut the cord right away.
    ameliasmama1

Answer by ameliasmama1 at 4:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Yes, we donate - although this option isn't available at every hospital/birthing center, but it should be!

Answer by missanc at 3:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• No, we delayed cord clamping for 2 hours after our son was born and will do the same with any future babies. I would at least wait until the cord stops pulsing so your baby gets all his blood back.

Check out this article: http://www.bellybelly.com.au/articles/birth/cord-clamping-delaying-cord-clamping  

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 3:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• No because my baby will be using it's cord blood because we will be delaying cutting the cord. God gave it to them for a reason.
    Anonymous

• God gave them their cords to provide nourishment from mommy to baby during pregnancy.
    Anonymous

• ok to those that say no because you are not going to cut the cord for 2 hours.. what if you have a c-section and have to cut right away, will you donate then?
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 11:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2009