Any other moms with a baby below the growth chart? (below 3%)

And if so, what did your doctor tell you? Did you have to try to fatten up your baby? Or run tests?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my brother's baby is measuring small, he is 9 months old and the same size as my 3 month old but he's fine just a little slower doing things than babies his age
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My son was in the 5% for height and 3% for weight. But I'm a small person, and my ex isn't big either. My son was right where I was when I was younger, so it wasn't anything we worried about. He wasn't losing weight, he was gaining just on his own curve and he was also hitting all of his milestones at about the right time. All 4 of my kids have been on the small side. My youngest is now 13 months and he's in the 25% for height, 10% for weight.
    I never ran any additional tests on him, didn't give him anything special to "fatten him up," and my dr told me he was healthy just small. He's 9 now, in the 50% for height and the 5% for weight - he's just always going to be a thin person. My brother is the same way - he's 34, 5'11" with a 29 inch waist. People are just built differently.

Answer by missanc at 3:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• my middle dd did. she was and still is way below the charts. she's just got a super high metabolism and her Grandma's size - teeny petite.

we did see a pediatrician to see if there was something wrong but nope...she's just active and tiny.

as long as baby is happy and healthy and hitting all the milestones - then I don't think you really need to worry.

I don't believe in 'fattening up a baby' - it can lead to so many issues down the line. just feed a healthy diet and an active life it will be fine.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My son is 15 months old and he is weighing in at 19.3 lbs and 29 1/2 inches tall. He was BF, I never supplemented. His goofy peds wanted me to get him a metabolic test (blood test out of the arm!) and supplement because ds has always been between 0-2% even though he has walked since he was 9 months old. Even though he eats REALLY well, even though he has hit any and ever milestone some one time and some early. I have a very busy boy! My ds 15 month apt is tomorrow and I am giving this doc ONE last chance to stop talking so negatively about my son's size and if he doesn't then I am switching. Enough is enough. What's my next step feeding my son Crisco? UH NO!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 4:57 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My oldest was running the 5% for a really long time. She was born with heart defects that caused her to burn the calories really fast. She went on a high calorie diet at 2 months. After she was 1 the ped had me start giving her Pediasure to help her put some weight on because she was still so small. She was hitting I would guess 95% of her milestones on time or early but she wouldn't gain weight at all it seemed like. She just had her 4 yr check up and her new ped said she is now in the 50% so we can try stopping the Pediasure all together and see how she does on continuing to maintain a good weight. So "fatting up" you child can have a medical reason behind it in some cases. Take the time to really look over the pro and cons.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 4:56 PM on Dec. 4, 2009