I have a 3 bedroom home and have 2 boys, an 8 yr. old and a 2 1/2 yr. old (they get along great-my 8 yr. old is wonderful with him) I am also pregnant with a girl-due very soon. 2 of the children will have to share a room. Should i get the boys bunk beds and let them share a room or should I put the infant and toddler together in a room?

flowermom76

Asked by flowermom76 at 3:47 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would put the boys together. It's not an ideal situation, but I would think having an infant in the room would disrupt your toddler's sleep schedule. Just make sure that your 8 year old has some space that is all his - maybe a high shelf in the closet, or a lockable cabinet, somewhere he can put his delicate stuff so the 2 1/2 year old can't get to it.

Answer by missanc at 3:49 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I'd ask the 8y/o my 3y/o shares a room with 3month old just fine.
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• i put my older two together so the baby doesnt wake them during night time feedings. it also helps for the babys daytime naps... my toddler doesnt have to get shut out of her room during naps.
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 4:49 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I'd put the little ones together. An 8ry old needs some privacy.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I had a similar question.. 3bd house, a toddler and a newborn (both boys). I thought about putting them in the same room so DH and I could use the extra bedroom as an office/workout room..but then I realized that my toddler could crawl up and over the crib and at his age, he doesn't know the difference between play and hurt. Worst thing I thought about was SIDS, because all it takes is my toddler getting in there and a blanket or toy over the baby. It's not worth the risk and a baby and a toddler should never be together unsupervised IMHO. My baby is now over 2 months and he is currently still in the bassinet in our room, but I've decided that they'll both get their own rooms until the baby can kinda "fend for himself".
    MommyHimes86

Answer by MommyHimes86 at 7:06 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Infant and toddler together now...until the toddler starts school, then put the school boys together.

The toddler may regress a bit after the baby is born (probably not, but it is a possibility) and the oldest needs his rest for school. In 3 years when the toddler starts school, all the "kinks" will be worked out of his system and the girl will be a toddler, ready for HER own room.

Just my opinion. I have three boys in a 3 bedroom house and the school age one has his own room. It has worked better for us.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Um...the toddler canNOT cause SIDS. There's no way. I think you're referring to suffocation. However, if the toddler is used to not being in the crib, there is no reason s/he should attempt to climb in. Not to mention the mattress is usually up high when the baby is first in it, so it would be quite some time before the mattress would be low enough for him to really gain entry to the crib.
    Anonymous