Sore nipples and breastfeeding

Can anyone help?I had my baby girl 3 months ago,I'm breatfeeding and my nipples are still sore.I don't know what to do anymore.I used for a while a nipple shield.We saw a lactation consultant and she said that we might have thrush,a yeast infection.We followed the treatment with all purpose oitment and nystatin but the pain is still there.I really want to breastfeed feed her exclusive but it's to much pain.Please help!

ioanat

Asked by ioanat at 3:51 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she may not be latched on right, or, you may just have a horrible time like I did...I don't think my pain ever fully ended.
    you can tell if she's latched on wrong if when after a feeding you pull her off and your nipple is mishaped...it should be long and round not flat or farther out on one side than the other.
    Anonymous

• Try a different hold, like the football. I dont think mine stopped hurting until after 4 months. make sure they are thoroughly dried after each feeding and then either leave them that way or squeeze a little breast milk on them.

medela makes these hydrogel pads that are amazing! you just put them on after you feed and leave them there until your next feeding and its like they're healed! Have you tried regular lanolin?
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 3:58 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Poor Mommy!!!! Sore breasts are the worst! Definitely check her latch - that will cause soreness for sure. New holds are good - sometimes a different hold will help baby latch better. Also, you can use lanolin (I like the lansinoh brand, but there are others too) after each nursing session - slather it all over your nipple.
    It's also possible that the yeast never went away fully - - you can take probiotics (in supplement or yogurt form) and grape seed oil to help with that. Also, if she takes a pacifier, boil it after each use to make sure that you don't pass the thrush back and forth between you.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 4:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• get some original lipton tea packets, get them wet like with cold water and put it right on your nipples.. the stuff in the tea makes them feel so much better! Good luck
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 4:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2009