How do I make my in laws feel comfortable in our home?

My MIL is shy because she doesn't speak a lot of English. However, she does know how to communicate with me. She knows enough lol. She has made a comment in the past that she is more comfortable in her own house and she'd rather us bring our baby there. They live in an apt loaded with knick knacks and have a fisty dog. Not a single toy or a book for children. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• The point of my post was - is there anything you can do in your home to make her feel more at comfortable? Does she always have a certain station on the TV for instance that you could turn the TV to when she comes over? Maybe turn on music that she likes. Stuff like that.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Yeah, tell her this. My child feels more comfortable in his house and is all about the baby's needs so we have to work together to make the holidays work. We appreciate your being inconvenienced for the sake of your grandchild's comfort.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Your child's safety is more important than your MIL's feelings. That sounds harsh, but taking a baby anywhere else is just more work. You need a highchair, pack n play, etc. I would think she would notice this. All you can really do is try to be a good hostess when she's there.

Answer by missanc at 3:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Go there occasionally. She'll notice that her stuff is in danger. Your MIL sounds like a kind person. Mainly invite her to your place, but do go to hers also. When she sees all the stuff you have to bring and that her things are a problem, and don't let on that it is a nuisance to have to drag the baby furniture around, be good natured about it, then she'll understand.

Answer by Bmat at 4:00 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Aren't most people more comfortable in their own home than in others' homes? I don't know, I kind of think she should just deal with it. My MIL is someone who always needs to be doing something to keep busy. Last year they came for Thanksgiving and my husband wanted her to make cinnamon rolls and some other stuff so she did. I just let her go at it in the kitchen and I do my own thing. If she needs to know where something is, she asks. When she came out for my daughter's birth for two weeks, she just made herself at home. She did all the cooking, cleaning, exercised my dogs, raked pine needles, etc. Sometimes I feel bad that she is doing all this stuff, but my husband said she is one that likes to be busy and doesn't expect everyone else to be helping her. If she wants help, she asks. So I've gotten over it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Good idea! Yes she likes Telemundo haha
    Anonymous

• Take a toy and some books

Answer by admckenzie at 5:42 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• my MIL speaks no english lives in mexico and if she ever came to visit idk how I'd entertain her I speak no spanish lol...
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 12:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2009