dumb question i have no idea about pumping breast milk.. but does it make you have long nipples??

thats what my DH told me. Also when does your milk come out? should i take nursing pads to the hospital when i go into labor? well i'm a stay at home mom should i still buy a breast pump??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Does your husband have a lot of experience pumping his breasts? lol. Seriously, though, no it does not. ;)
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 3:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• no it doesnt. i leaked maybe a tablespoon of colostrum in the hospital so no breast pads are not needed and neither is a pump
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:56 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• When did DH become a breastfeeding expert? lol
    Pumping wont do anything to your breasts that nursing a baby wouldn't do.

If you want DH to help with feedings, get a pump. If you want to be able to leave the baby with a sitter or grandma for more that 2 hours, get a pump.

Some people might need nursing pads from the get go, some might not have their milk fully come in for a week, take some just in case.

I used pumps with all 4 of my kids.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 3:56 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Oh, and it's up to you whether or not you buy a pump. I'm a stay at home mom, too, and the only times I used a pump was when I was pumping milk for other people's babies who need doner milk. Definitely wait a while before you start using the pump so you get a good supply established. Remember that how much milk you are able to pump is not indicative of how much milk your baby is able to get nursing. (Their sucking is way more efficient.) Also, if you pump, you still need to pump whenever your child gets a bottle. That way your body knows how much milk to make. Just nursing was way easier for me, so I never pumped for my son.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 3:58 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• it made mine bigger and longer, but then they go back to normal after your done breastfeeding/pumping.
    if your planning on breastfeeding then just use it if you need it!
    i'd take bread pads to the hospital, cause you can leak colosturum to
    your milk usually comes in about 3 days after you've had the baby, but it's important to start breastfeeding if that's what your going to do the day she/he's born, because they need the colostorum that comes before the milk comes!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 3:59 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• If you want to go anywhere, anywhere at all while your bf'ing, yes, you should buy a breast pump. I made the mistake of waiting to get mine unitl after I had delivered and I was stuck at home for a whole month because I did not want to supplement with formula. I literally didn't leave the house once for fear that she'd be hungry and I wouldn't be there. You shouldn't need nursing pads in the hospital, since you don't really leak much till the milk has come in and it is established, but I would buy a nursing camisole or top.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:00 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• ha yeah thats what i told my husband... he think's he know's everything because this would be his second child and this is my first.
    Anonymous

• My nipples sometimes get a little longer when my daughter is nursing and when I pump, but then they go back to normal like a minute later. I'm a SAHM and I have a cheap manual pump. I hardly ever use it. I really should pump more and freeze it, for "just in case." I rarely go anywhere without my daughter and when I do, I leave immediately after feeding her and I'm not gone for more than 2 hours. I'm okay with this, though. I didn't take nursing pads to the hospital because they had some if I needed them. I asked beforehand. Although I didn't need nursing pads until my milk came in 3 days later.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My nipples would get longer after I was done pumping but it would only last for a few minutes and then they would go back down (kinda like when your nipples get hard and then they go back to normal) This is because the pump sucks them in to it which causes them to extend.

Personally, I would bring pads to the hospital just in case. Typically the milk doesnt come in til the third day but I had baby #2 at 1:53p on a Thur and I woke up Sat morning (in the hospital) and I was leaking EVERYWHERE! I had an abundance of breastmilk both times so mine flowed freely! I personally would get a pump, just in case, but I wouldnt open it just yet. Alot of ladies only make enough to nurse, which is totally fine because that is all the baby needs. But others (like me) become totally engorged and need some relief
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• You should bring some Lanolin with you to the hospital in case you have some nipple soreness- it is safe for baby and can help alleviate that initial nipple tenderness when first nursing. My nipples would get elongated when I nursed or pumped but then went back to normal in a matter of minutes afterward. Now that I am done nursing I really don't think my breasts look any different than they did before my pregnancy. A small inexpensive hand pump could be handy for times you need a break or so hubby can occassionally feed and bond with baby, too. Avent makes a pretty good one.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2009