Do you get annoyed when childless people go on and on about what 'being a parent' is like?

My sister in law and friend of the family were both doing this at Thanksgiving. It is really obnoxious when childless people talk about what being a parent is like or how people should discipline their kids. My BILs and SILs are always doing this. They regularly tell my husband that he is 'too overprotective' or whatever and none of them have kids!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• yeah it bothers me a lot.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 4:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I know my moms friend who has kids but they no longer live with her because their grandmother has custody of them,for over 2 years now is always saying something to my mom about what she should do and how she should do it when they're acting up..I cant stand it I'm like you don't even have kids and your going to comment my mom? haha
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 4:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Well childless people are also entitled to their opinions. If it upset you that they criticize your or your husband's parental skills, tell them so that their comments aren't welcome nor solicited.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 4:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Yes! And when people with one infant tell you feel that they can make judgment calls on how you're dealing with your toddler. They assume since they're a parent too, and they're child isn't acting up the way yours does, so they can tell you what you're doing wrong...
    abcoombe

Answer by abcoombe at 4:11 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Ehhh minorly. But you know all advice is free advice, take it or leave it. While it may seem like these people have no idea what they are talking about (true for the most part) you never know when that one little pearl of wisdom slips through. I just listen to what they say, say ahuh, ahuh, thank you for bringing that up. Of course, I do the same thing with other Parents because they are just as bad as offering bad advice.

ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 4:11 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I personally find it amusing. When they do finally have a child they will find their opinion doesn't get them very far. lol Everyone knows how to raise a child until they have one.
    Anonymous

• I think it's annoying. Sure they are entitlted to their opinion but not to give advice on a subject they know nothing about. I find it amazing that some parents actually defend them.
    Anonymous

• Holy crap, yes. My co-worker does this ALL the time. She's in her 50s and isn't married and is childless and she just goes on and on about what's "wrong" with people's parenting these days and how xyz negatively affects children etc etc. And it wouldn't be so bad but her opinions always end up being based on incorrect information. Of course, she's just a know it all in general so it's fairly typical. But yes, it makes me want to throw my stapler at her.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 4:37 PM on Dec. 2, 2009