Is my daughter a nudist?

My DD is 14 and I just found out that she not only sleeps in the nude, she doesn't wear clothes while she is in her room with the door closed. When I asked her about this, she says she feels more comfortable nude and (this is the part that concerns me) she sees nothing wrong with the naked body, that it is nothing to be ashamed of, and that if she could she would be naked all the time. My DH and I are very conservative people and I don't know where she is getting this attitude from. We are concerned that this may be an indication of sexuality issues...or worse. Anyone have any similar experiences or thoughts on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• A teen child, and a girl at that, who is this comfortable and confident about her body indicates that you're doing a lot of the right things for her. There's absolutely nothing wrong with her wanting to be nude in her room; the fact that she does it in there and only there says she understands appropriate boundaries. But the PP who asked about computers and windows is onto something as well. Check those out!
    I absolutely hate clothes. Always have. As a teen, I actually described clothes as "an ill fitting costume I had to wear for convention's sake." I've since learned to dress better but I still don't like clothes and still feel like I'm putting on a costume for the world to see. Clothes feel . . . fake. When I'm not in them, I feel much more real.
    This information could lead to some truly facinating discussions with your daughter about clothes, perceptions, all sorts of things if she feels she can be open with you.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 11:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I'd ask a physcologist or family doctor's opinion.
    Anonymous

• She has good self esteem and body image and this has you worried? She is right, there is nothing wrong with the naked body, it is nothing to be ashamed of.
    She only does it when she's alone, with the door shut. She seems to know where its appropriate and where its not.
    I would just leave her alone.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 4:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• sounds like you're the one with the issue. NOT your daughter.

i would definitely see therapy, but not for the child- for you and your husband.

this is NORMAL human behavior. i guess if it indicates sexual behaviors, then my 2 year old is a sex fiend, along with my 4 year old, and my 8 year old... oh, myself, SO, and his kids too... wow, you are a sick woman to indicate that she SHOULD FEEL ASHAMED OF BEING NAKED!!!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I don' t think that there is a problem with your DD, I think that there are"Naked People" and "Clothing People" I hate being naked, always have, even when I was a size 2 (once for like 5 minutes) My DH on the other hand would do everything naked if he could. His sister says he has always been like that....
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 4:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• WOW ObbyDobbie...calling someone a "sick woman" because she is concerned about her child!
    You have serious issues and should seek therapy...immediately!
    Anonymous

• anon, you must be the OP... in which case I truly do urge you to seek help. by teaching your daughter that nudity is shameful, you are damaging her for life, in all of her relationships, her self esteem, every aspect of her life. it is promising that she seems to be unaffected by your sick, twisted perception of 'normal' or 'acceptable' behaviors. i can only hope that this trend continues, and she is capable of seeing just how warped an individual it takes to believe that the human body is something to be ashamed of... sad, so sad... or that nudity is solely associated with sexual behavior... wow, people are warped.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I to believe that it is normal behavior, we love to be naked. We do not walk around the house in front of the boys, but while in our rooms we choose to be naked. My DS also 16 is very comfortable with his body and while in his room he also chooses nudity. The human body is beautiful embrace it.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 6:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• as a parent of a 13 year old girl, that would make me feel uncomfortable too. Just for sanity reasons, I hope she wipes her butt crack good when she poops, otherwise there would be poop streaks all over her bed or where ever she sits in her room.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 6:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My DS is 16 and from 18 months to 3 years he was naked then he finally was able to keep clothes on for the most part from 3 to 13 and then off they came again! He walks in the house after school or whatever and usually goes straight to his bedroom and strips I bought him a mens half robe just so we didn't have to see him in his boxers all the time! I have to knock before going in his bedroom because he is always naked in there. I really don't see anything wrong with it.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 7:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2009