Bottle advice

For starters, we had our daughter off a bottle by the time she was a year old. Just recently she was in the hospital and the only thing that would comfort her was a bottle. Now we are having a hard time getting her off it again. She mostly wants it during naps and at bedtime. We tried doing just water, but she likes it and makes no fuss over it. She is even content with an empty bottle. Just as long as she has something to suck on. What can I do to get her off these things again?

kahlynsmommy

Asked by kahlynsmommy at 4:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You know, sometimes cold turkey is the only way. My kids never had attachments to the bottle, we never put them to bed with one, so for us it was easy...BUT my son had a pacifier and my daughter sucked her index finger. My son only had his paci at bedtimes, cept when he was at the hospital for appoitnments (which was alot) lol. He didnt' give it up fully till he was 3, but again, he didn't ever have it unless he was sleeping. My daughter sucked her finger for a while, that's harder to break. With that we just gently reminded her that she was too old to suck her finger. It's hard taking away a comfort. Maybe try replacing the bottle with a soft blankie or stuffy, that might help
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 4:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I'd let her be for the time being. She may not be over the turmoil of the hospital so the bottle is a comfort thing for her. Since it doesn't have milk in it (which can cause teeth problems), it's less of an issue. Give her a little while longer then start talking about how bottles are for babies, etc. Try a stuffed animal or blanket as a comfort object instead. If after a month or two of normal life (i.e. no more hospital visits) she still won't give it up, then I'd try going cold turkey.
    Anonymous

• my daughter was like that, i just gave her a binky. she didnt like it as ,much but it works.
    Mommy2Layla08

Answer by Mommy2Layla08 at 8:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Will she take a pacifier? I see nothing wrong with giving a bottle at bedtime/naptime. But if you really want her off the bottle, I would just give it at bedtime. Then made a slit in the nipple (make sure it doesn't crack or peel apart when you tug on it hard). Let her suck on that for 1-2 night. Then just cut off the tip of the nipple so it loses its suckablity. She'll probably lose interest fast. My son is 18 months old and he still gets a bottle at naptime and nighttime. It's an comfort item, we are working on getting him off the naptime bottle.
    Anonymous