Question for mommys who have had a spinal block for a c-section?

I am having a c-section tomorrow morning. With my last c-section they gave me an epidural and it was fine.. This time is not an emergency c-section so they have decided to do the spinal block. What does it feel like? How is it different than an epidural? I have heard that you feel like you cant breathe? Any input would be much appreciated!

mm-mom

Asked by mm-mom at 4:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I never had an epidural so I can not compare (my other births were natural) however I did have a Spinal block for my C-section with the twins. I had no issues breathing and you will be completly numb from about your chest down. (Your arms will be strapped down on each side like you are trying to fly) You will feel like your bottom half is missing for a few hours after the surgery and then like a slow moving wave the feeling will start to come back from your toes up - not tingly like they were asleep just nice sensation of feeling.... The only "issue" I had was pain in my shoulders during the C-Seciton. It felt like someone was pushing down really hard on my shoulders (like you are carrying water buckets with a stick across your shoulders type feeling). They said it was a side affect of the block and it did go away by the time I was in the recovery room.
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 4:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Ran out of space :o) - Bit of advice for you - once your cath is taken out and you are allowed to get out of bed - it will be painful however try and get into the shower ASAP. Sitting on a bench seat and letting the warm water run down you feels sooo nice! I placed about 4 washcloths across my incesion (after I got them wet of course) and just sat there for like a half hour. Trust me - you will feel soo good after that first shower! Don't worry about soap or washing your hair just yet. :o) Good luck tomorrow!
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 4:31 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Honestly, the spinal block for me hurt like a bitch but that may because of already have issues with my spinal cord. As long as they do it right the first time you shouldn't have any problems. I did have a reaction from it and after the pain meds wore off I started itching all over my face. After I got some allergy meds I was good to go.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:50 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• They took the time to give you an epidural during an emergancy c section? Most emergancies need general or spinals. They are faster than epidurals. My spinal was easy and painless. It wears off pretty quickly so you can usually move your feet by the time you get to the recovery room. I had the itching problem afterwards but that is from the morphine they give after, not the spinal block. Good luck.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 5:07 PM on Dec. 2, 2009