Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I call Child Protective Services?

A grandmother has physical custody of 3 of her grandchildren, she has had them since the day they were born. Their mother is mentally disabled/drug addict and not living in the home, their fathers are not in their lives and rarely pay any support. The grandmother is disabled and married to a child molester. Financially, the grandmother cannot afford the children. She will not persue custody to receive additional welfare for these children b/c she is afraid she will lose them. I have researched her husbands background and even though he must register as a sex offender he is 'allowed' to live with/be around children according to the terms of his release. She is a family member. These kids have been through enough, i don't want to cause them anymore pain by interrupting their lives. Talking to the grandmother is useless, she believes Jesus has forgiven her husband and therefore he is safe. Any advice, please???

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (8)
  • CPS will not do anything unless they see that the kids are underfed, covered in bruises, or have OBVIOUSLY (as in physical evidence) been sexually abused, or live in such severe filth that they are in danger of illness...

    i understand why you would feel this way, but unless the children are in obvious dire straits, there is not much you can do unless you see/they say something.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

  • yeah, i don't think there's anything you can do... unless something is going on in the home.. (abuse..) there's a guy who lives down a few blocks from me, and he molested his now 25 yr old daughter until she was 14, then he went to jail, (the mother had another child with a different man), he got out of jail, and now he lives with the same wife and they have another daughter together.
    very true. very sad. very very scary.
    but if there's no blatant reason why they should be removed from the home, there's really not much that can be done.

    Answer by katatrinakay at 4:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

  • It depends on WHY he is a registered sex offender, was it molesting children? If he is allowed to live with children then I would think not. For example DS is 16 and his GF is 17 in our state that age difference is statutory rape if they got caught having sex she would have to register as a sex offender! Look at what his offense was before you call CPS.

    Answer by goaliemom93 at 5:44 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

  • If you feel the children are in danger or being abused then call. If nothing is wrong then no harm done. Better safe than sorry as far as I'm concerned!!

    Answer by frat_twin_mama at 5:48 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

  • You can just call and ask CPS if this situation is one they would investigate; you can call anonymously.

    Answer by happytexasCM at 6:35 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

  • This is not abuse so don't call. If being poor were enough to get children taken away half of America would live in foster care. Also it is not illegal for him to live with children and therefore a moot point in CPS's eyes. It is a waste of their time until you see actual sexual or physical abuse to the children. I think you calling would hurt the children much worse than keeping them there. Remember if they were removed they'd be sent to temporary foster care where something much worse could happen.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

  • If the sex offender is allowed to be around children then it means he is not a CHILD sex offender--remember there are other types of sex offences other than child molesting. The grandmother is doing the best she can. Get your long nose out of her business and stop snooping, "researching" and harrassing this poor woman. More children are raped/molested in foster homes and temporary foster homes than you would ever believe.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

  • The problem is that the offender IS a child sex offender, he molested his 11 year old step-daughter and spent time in jail for the offense. The fact that there is now an 11 yr old girl living in the home as well as two other children.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.