• In the Spotlight:

Since everyone is on the religion bandwagon answer me this

I was raised Christian, some of my closest friends and even my family are Christians so this is in no way intended to bash. I have several questions I want answers to.

1. If one of the commandments is "Thou shalt not kill" then why does God tell people not even a book in the bible later to kill any witch found? I believe last I checked witches were still people.

2. If the Christian God is the only god then why is there the commandment "Thou shalt have no other God's before me?"

3. How is it other countries that serve other God's other than the Christian God have healers that can actually heal people. And no they are not possessed.

These are only some of my questions. I'm full of them, but these are some of the most confusing to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• . If the Christian God is the only god then why is there the commandment "Thou shalt have no other God's before me?"

I believe this means not to worship anything or anyone else. We can take anything and worship/ idolize it, he wants us to depend fully on him.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Where in the Bible does it say to kill witches?? Verse please.

My translation of "putting no Gods before me" is that people worship things other than a higher power. People worship cars, money, other people, etc. To that person the celebrity they worship is "God". They listen to and follow everything that person says and does.

I don't honestly belief that other countries have magical healers. I guess if I saw scientific proof of it, or saw it first hand, I would believe. But from what I have seen in documentaries it is just people doing alternative things and believing that it will heal them.
    Anonymous

• I had to chuckle a little at anon :44's answer.... "I guess if I saw scientific proof of it, or saw it first hand, I would believe." This is pretty much EXACTLY what atheists tell christians about their god, yet we are "condemned to hell" and "evil" when we say it... Interesting.

I was raised catholic myself, and frankly, I think the bible pretty much contradicts itself every other page. Which is why I see it as something written down by man, therefore fallible. Even when I was still officially catholic, I always believed the bible is a general guideline, and NOT something to be taken literally word for word... Guess I was never a very good catholic, heh.

When it comes down to it, every religion has the same message of love and forgiveness. The intolerance, hatred, and killings done in the name of some god or another are all man-made additions.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Even when I was still officially catholic, I always believed the bible is a general guideline, and NOT something to be taken literally word for word... Guess I was never a very good catholic, heh.

UHM, that is kind of how just about every Catholic I know takes the bible including priest
    Anonymous

• I rarely answerquestions, but I have answers for these. 

1. If one of the commandments is "Thou shalt not kill" then why does God tell people not even a book in the bible later to kill any witch found? I believe last I checked witches were still people.  I have 2 theories on this. One is that it was translated incorrectly, the other is that whoever wrote it thinks that witches are not people.  ;)

2. If the Christian God is the only god then why is there the commandment "Thou shalt have no other God's before me?"   Because it was written before Christ.  And there were (are) people who idolize other people, other "things" etc, as a pp answered.

3. How is it other countries that serve other God's other than the Christian God have healers that can actually heal people. And no they are not possessed.  Who said they are not possessed? 

Anonymous

• "I guess if I saw scientific proof of it, or saw it first hand, I would believe." This is pretty much EXACTLY what atheists tell christians about their god, yet we are "condemned to hell" and "evil" when we say it... Interesting.

Actually I have seen TONS of scientific proof of God's existence and there have been several scientist that eventually let go and let God; Saying there is a final power making the world go round. Einstein is one of these scientist.
    Anonymous

• I have asked these same questions over and over. And the answers I have gotten never make much sense! So good luck OP! I hope you get your answers! But I doubt you will!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• 1. If one of the commandments is "Thou shalt not kill" then why does God tell people not even a book in the bible later to kill any witch found? I believe last I checked witches were still people. --- God is all-knowing, His judgment is righteous and fair. When humans kill we do so out of selfishness. God does it to destroy sin. God loves all people, but if they choose to willingly pratice things  He has called detestable (in thought or deed) that person will be destroyed along with the sin. The sin is what God hates and what He seeks to destroy. Sin is infectious--it has to be controlled or it will spread.

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• 2. If the Christian God is the only god then why is there the commandment "Thou shalt have no other God's before me?" We can make a "god" out of anything--money,a person, career,even trees! He alone is God. there is no other real, living,omniscient,omnipotent,omnipresent God. Serving any other is futile as they can not help us. (1 Sam. 12:21)

3. How is it other countries that serve other God's other than the Christian God have healers that can actually heal people. And no they are not possessed. Satan can perform miracles,too.

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:46 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• The book of Moral Theology makes a distinction between "kill" and "murder". I don't have it with me, but it involves the innocence of the victim.

God wants us to acknowledge Him as the creator and not to worship other beings or concepts as god or gods. So there is no conflict here. Even money can be worshipped, so it's more metaphysical.

As for healers in other religions, I believe that in natural law, there are energies that are harnessed by people who study them well. These methods are not recognized by Western medicine (yet) but a basic example is mind over matter. Simple yet hard.  Healing may or may not be miraculous, it really depends on the particulars of a situation.

shellbyrne

Answer by shellbyrne at 5:48 PM on Dec. 2, 2009