Why do you think people feel it is important to name your child but yet spell it unique?

Daniel spelled Danyael... what the ?

No wonder there is always some kind of typo in our names/words. I mean what ever name you pick... yes it will look pretty or nice on paper but that is if it is spelled the way you spell it. Just be orginal.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Personally, I can't stand it when people do it. But... not my kids, so I'm not going to worry about it.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:47 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• My personal suspicion is that people want "unique" and "different" names but can't come up with ones they really like so they go with unusual spelling instead.
    Or else they want unique and different "baby names" and don't think about what the name is going to represent when the baby is a child or young adult trying to get their first job out of school.
    The example you gave: Nobody would expect a child named Daniel to be anything other than a male. But spell it Danyeal and all bets are off. That "y" makes the name suddenly look feminine. Then you have people looking at the signature on the letter trying to figure out if they should address the response to Mr or Ms. Danyeal X.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 4:50 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• love how people choose a name that means something beautiful, then change the spelling (thus changing the meaning)... although if you ask any random person, it is highly unlikely that they could tell you what their name means, or what their childrens mean either. i really do hate the "unique" spellings though...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:51 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I hate it so much, I refused to go see the movie "Antwone Fisher", just because Antoine was spelled incorrectly, heh. Annoys me almost as much as incorrect spelling and grammar. Which is why I didn't want to see "The Pursuit of Happyness" :P
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:59 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I have no idea.

I have always felt bad for those children because they ALWAYS must spell or pronounce their names. And what is worse is when the parent gets all upset that her child's name is spelled or pronounced wrong - well duh.
    Anonymous

• I was having this very conversation the other day. I saw a name tag that said "Britnee" I'm was like, are you serious? There was this comedy I saw and the teacher called out "Is Anthony here?" and the boy says, "My name is Anferny...AN-FER-NEE" I about died!
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 12:55 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I guess I need to check my typos :p
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 12:56 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• As the mom of a child who has an alternately spelled name, I advise against it if I see someone wanting to jack with a spelling. My son is 19 now & I think we've spelled his name thousands of times to people & STILL they insist on spelling it the other way...which is actually the more common way. I apologize to my son on occasion for spelling his name weird.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• lol i am the same as the last person to post --- I let my husband talk me into spelling our daughters name kind of funny... Crslynn ...everyone always asks if we forgot the vowel....I love her name and I mean i cant picture her having another, but I do feel guilty because I know she is always going to have to spell it out ....so I assume, she might go by Crissy in the future....
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 3:56 AM on Dec. 3, 2009