How soon should I find a pediatrician?

I'm 39 weeks, and we have a pediatrician in mind, but should I call his office or should I just wait till after I have the baby since we dont know when for sure she'll be here?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• mmm, I made appointment with pedi AFTER baby was born.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 5:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• you might want to call and make sure they are taking new patients because if not, you made need to research a different option. otherwise, just make sure you pack your ped's phone number in your hospital bag so you can call once the baby is born. at the hospital i went to, they didn't let you leave until you have a ped's appt set up.
    SavvyMomma1809

Answer by SavvyMomma1809 at 5:42 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• i didnt find a pedi untill i had the baby he was the on call doc at the hospital and I LOVE HIM! he's a great doctor and i wouldnt change him
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 6:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Um....the pediatrician usually comes and visits the baby at the hospital. If you don't have one, you'll have one of their residents looking after your baby.
    Anonymous

• Interview BEFORE delivery...that way if the ped isn't the right fit you have time to change.

I interviewed my prospects by eight months and had the pediatrician selected then.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:56 PM on Dec. 2, 2009