What are some strategies to beat the holiday blues?

Amberoz

Asked by Amberoz at 4:50 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Focus on the true meaning of Christmas, revisit good memories of your past Christmases, volunteer somewhere so that you can help others who are worse off than you and think about all the blessings you have instead of dwelling on what you don't have. Attend some Children's Christmas programs at local schools & churches, that will always brighten your spirit! Try not to overeat any more than you have to, I know that will keep you from feeling bloated and physically miserable as you eat alot of unhealthy things and put on a few extra pounds. One thing we do every year is make huge cookie & fruit trays & deliver them to all our local fire & police stations along with thank you & Christmas cards to them. They absolutely love it & it's such a blast for us to get to bless them this way. The best thing you can do is go out of your way to make someone elses Christmas special & you will end up feeling happy, blessed & special.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 5:26 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Leaf through an old photo album to smile over old times. Volunteer- help out at a food closet, adopt a family, get presents for an angel tree, donate toys. Attend a candlelight church service and sing the old hymns. Exchange presents with a friend while having a nice lunch out.

Answer by Bmat at 4:58 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• It depends on the reason for the blues but the best thing is to stay busy. Movement is great for fighting depression. If the blues is over missing a loved one that is gone I would focus on who is around or volunteer to be and help others. If it's over the recession then do things that don't cost money. I spend time with my grandkids reading books, playing board games and cards, baking, etc.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:00 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Oh, the day I get to where I can't tolerate the stress any more, I go tan. Just for 5 or 8 mins, but the extra vitamin D really lifts my mood.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Do something for others. If you sit and wallow in it, it will only get worse.

Do for others and you will feel good about life in general!
    Anonymous