What is your suggestion for telling a family member you're naming your child after them?

My first child was Braeden Elizabeth. Elizabeth is a family name. My dad's mother's middle name and my mom's middle name. I was pretty much taken care of and loved by my other grandmother. My mom's mom.
She is very important to me and vice versa. (My second child was named after his father) I am now having another daughter and my SO and I have picked out the name Adelaide. We have pretty much decided that her middle name will be Mae, after my grandmother (her middle name).
I am not sure how to present this to her. This what I had in mind:
We are giving out picture frames with a family photo of us to each family as a Christmas gift. I am thinking we will give them out at the family get together and then afterwards give her another frame that has "Adelaide Mae" on it with an ultrasound photo in it. I am not sure what else to write or put on the frame. Any suggestions/thoughts? Thanks

AmandaI1021

Asked by AmandaI1021 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• My youngest is named for his greatgrandfather. We bought a "thinking of you" card and wrote it in there for him. My husband also wrote how special his memories of him as a child were. When he opened the card he cried, I cried..we all cried. His last words before he died were "have M.A. carry on"
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:59 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I LOVE IT!!! That is an awesome idea! Brought a little tear to my eye!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 5:00 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Duh, I should have explained better. His Papas name was literally M.A., when we named our son we gave him names for each initial. His Papa though always called him M.A. jr.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Have you asked her if she wants a baby to be named after her? Some people are funny about that.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:40 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• i named my dd's middle name after my mom and the way i told her was to wait and then i showed her the birth certificate after baby was born
    lmaines22

Answer by lmaines22 at 5:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I don't think you need to add a single thing. You presenting her with the frame and ultrasound is beautiful in it's simplicity.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 6:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I am sure. She likes those kinds of things
    AmandaI1021

Answer by AmandaI1021 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• And besides I think everyone can just assume that I know my grandmother well enough to know some things about her.
    I'm really excited about this!
    AmandaI1021

Answer by AmandaI1021 at 7:35 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• wow I'd think most people would be honored. My son should have been GWK the 4th. But since my FIL has bad credit that they confuse with my husband all the time I said no way. That I think was tougher to explain. But we used George that is family name on both sides. I say the direct approach is the best. We are thinkking of using Mae as our daughter's middle name in honor of you. Would that be okay?
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:45 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• thanks for the advice!
    AmandaI1021

Answer by AmandaI1021 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 3, 2009